A Thai twist on an Irish classic, from Aldi Supermarkets.
Sweet Chili Sauce
- 6 sliced red peppers
- 1 sliced red chili
- 6 peeled cloves of garlic
- 1 cup /7 oz caster sugar
- 1 liter of water
- 4 large potatoes
- 1 onion diced
- ½ green pepper diced
- ½ red pepper diced
- ½ diced red chili
- 1 grated carrot
- 2 oz butternut squash
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 2 sliced scallions
- 12 basil leaves
- 2 oz cilantro
- 18oz corn flakes cereal
How to Cook –Thai Potato Cakes
* Serves 4 people
* Ready in 2 hours
Start by making a sweet chili sauce.
1. In a pot, add 6 slices of red pepper and 1 slice of red chili, along with 6 pealed cloves of garlic and the caster sugar.
2. Add 1 liter of water to the pot and boil until the liquid is reduced by half.
3. Then blend the mixture with a hand blender and set aside.
4. Allow the sauce to cool to room temperature.
*Alternatively, you can save time by using a shop bought sauce if you wish.
Making the potato cakes.
1. Bake 4 large potatoes at 350 F for 50 minutes, or until just cooked, don’t overbake.
2. While the potatoes are cooking, heat some olive oil in a heavy based non-stick pan.
3. Add 1 diced onion, half a diced green pepper, half a diced red pepper, half a diced red chili and lightly fry until soft.
4. Add 1 grated carrot and the butternut squash blanched in boiling salted water for 4 minutes and chilled. Adjust the seasoning and set aside.
5. When the mixture has softened, add 1 tablespoon of turmeric and 1 tablespoon of cumin.
6. Cut the baked potatoes in half, scoop out the potatoes and then add to the cooked vegetables and spices.
7. Add 2 sliced scallions and mix well. Add 12 basil leaves and 50 grams of fresh coriander. Mix well and adjust the seasoning.
8. It is now time to mold the potato cakes into the desired size.
9. You should be able to make at least 12 small potato cakes.
10. Roll the potato cakes in 18 oz of corn flakes that have been blended into a crumb.
11. Pan fry until golden.
12. Serve with a ramekin of the sweet chili sauce. Add a garlic dipping sauce if desired. Top with some olive oil tossed rocket leaves.