Senior Hurling - Fr. Tom Burke’s 1-14 Tipperary 2-16

Before the game a minute’s silence was observed for the late John Joynt who played with Fr. Tom’s in 1959.

It was an extremely entertaining game between Tipperary and Fr. Tom’s to decide who would go on to meet Wexford in Wednesday night’s semi-final. Tipperary had that little bit extra on the bench that saw them through the final 10 minutes to put some distance between the teams. Jamie Dwyer made a difference after entering the fray in the latter stages, while two Michael Ryan points in injury time settled the game.

The opening 30 minutes was played with gusto. Tom’s had the edge in the early stages and went into a three point lead. A Thomas Carroll goal after quick ball into the full forward line was gathered by Carroll who fired into the far corner of the net. Points followed from Shane Howley and Brendan Murphy and 4 of the 5 Tom’s forwards were on the scoresheet. With less then 10 minutes to the break Tipp opened up. It began with a pointed O’Loughlin free, and then Brian Hartnett was involved in a two goal double strike. First the Corkman made a solo run and and drove the ball home from an angle, and for the second he took a quick free to Michael Ryan who was left unmarked right in front of goal, and Ryan fired home. With the momentum in their favour Tipp landed four more points on the trot and went in at the break with a 2-9 to 1-8 lead.

The sides traded scores to get the second half going. Howley and O’Mahoney for Tom’s and John Roche and Rigney for Tipperary. Tom’s threatened the Tipp goal on a couple of occasions, but a Tipp hurl or body managed to keep the ball from the back of the net on each occasion. Tipp looked like fatigue was beginning to set in as Tom’s seemed to be getting the upper hand and returning balls towards the Tipp goal. On most occasions however, there was a Tipp defender in the vicinity more often than a Tom’s forward. Tipp had a great chance to put some daylight between the team when Jamie Dwyer was held in the area, but Paudie O’Brien’s penalty came off the crossbar and Tom’s cleared the danger. Murphy and O’Mahoney brought Tom’s within a point with five minutes to go. John O’Loughlin made it a three point lead for Tipp and two Ryan points sealed the game for Tipp in injury time. Tipp to meet Wexford in the semi-final next Wednesdaynight.

Referee: James Owens (Loch Garman)

Man of the Match: Michael Ryan (Tipperary)

Tom’s: F. Hynes, N. O’Muineachan, P. Heneghan, S. Higgins, G. McInerney, P. McGrath, T. Corcoran, E. Murphy, S. Howley, C. Moore, B. Murphy, D. O’Mahoney, T. Carroll. Tipp: P. O’Brien, J. Kindregan, B. O’Carroll, S. Norton, J. Rigney, J. Dougan, C. Dempsey, A. Callinan, J. Wall, J. Roche, K. O’Loughlin, B. Hartnett, M. Ryan.

**The Senior Hurling Semi Final between Tipperary and Wexford will beplayed Wednesday night at 5:00.

Blues and Donegal to Contest Senior Football Final

Shannon Blues 3-11 Aidan McAnespies 2-12

The second semi-final of the day produced a fine contest between Aidan McAnespies and Shannon Blues. The Blues looked like they would run away with it for much of the first half, but in the second half McAnespies almost completed a big comeback only to fall short. Cathal Gregg put in a man of the match performance for the Blues, particularly in the second half when players were needed to step up in the face of a McAnespies comeback.

The first half belonged to the Blues as they overran the McAnespies defences. James Hynes and Cathal Gregg were in fine form on the half forward line. After Daniel McKenna opened the account with a point, the Blues went on a goal and\three points run. The goal came from the boot of James Hynes who was fed by Gregg, and Sean O’Connor pointed two frees. Bradley and McGuckin stemmed the tide with a point each, but the respite was brief as again the Blues went on a scoring burst. Gregg netted a wonderful goal and more points came from the half forwards, O’Connor and Gregg. The Blues suffered a blow after David Clarke was shown a red card following a high challenge on Niall Gallen. Colm Donnelly added a point in the McAnespies column before the break to make it 2-6 to 0-5 for the Blues at the half.

McAnespies started the second period with renewed energy and narrowed the gap to five points. The Blues, however, dug deep to produce some scores and continued to run at the McAnespies defence. Hynes netted a second goal, similar to the first and Cathal McHugh added a point to increase the lead. As the half wore on the extra man began to tell. McAnespies enjoyed more possession and got the ball into the hands of their forwards with far more frequency. McCrory, who could have had a goal, McGuckin, and Bradley pointed, and a goal came from Daniel McKenna with time on the clock. McAnespies were their own worst enemies as there were a few bad misses from good scoring chances, but with injury time approaching a second McAnespies goal came from Sean Cournane who fisted past the advancing keeper. The Blues relied on Gregg to do the running to try and make up for the extra man, and the Roscommon man did a superb job. The Blues kept a nose ahead with points from O’Connor frees, and the back line did a good job in keeping the door closed.

Referee: Syl Doyle (Loch Garman)

Man of the Match: Cathal Gregg (Shannon Blues)

Blues: T. Sayers, C. Phelan, R. O’Callaghan, B. Curran, M. McGowan, S. Moriarty, D. Clarke, D. Dineen, S. O’Connor, J. Hynes, C. Gregg, C. Rafferty, K. Hurley. Macs: R. McCrystal, N. Gallen, P. McConway, M. Slane, E. Bradley, M. Bogue, D. Kingston, C. Donnelly, D. McKenna, N. McCrory, C. McCrory, E. McGuckin, S. Cournane.

Donegal 4 - 15 Galway 1-5

Donegal swept past Galway with a powerful display off football and finally provided a look at the capabilities of a team laden with intercounty talent. With Kevin Cassidy in the half back line, Brian White and Brian Donnelly in the middle of the field, and Dessie Dolan and Derek Maguire up front, Donegal blew past their opponents and effectively had their place booked in next week’s semi final after 20 minutes had expired.

The long layoff did not affect Donegal in the slightest as they gave Galway a roasting in the first 15 minutes of the game. Winning everything in the middle of the field, and with lots of running from the midfielders and half forwards, Donegal clocked up 2 goals and five points as Galway struggled to deal with the onslaught. When in possession Galway struggled to find options, while Donegal had nothing but when the ball was in the hands of a yellow shirted player. Louth duo Derek Maguire and Brian Donnelly combined for the first goal. Maguire created the opening and Donnelly crashed the ball home from inside the 21. Donegal carved open the Galway defence again for Eddie Kelly to fire home and the writing was on the wall for Galway. Dolan and Maguire followed with a point each before Maguire slotted home Donegal’s third goal with 25 minutes of the half expired. Galway managed points from O’Rourke and Kevin O’Grady, but as if to rub salt in Donegal goaled a fourth time when an attempted point dropped short and Kieran Williams forced the ball into the net. At the half Donegal were looking in good shape with a massive 16 point lead.

Galway took the field looking to salvage some pride over the second 30 minute stint. Kevin Cummins entered the fray and netted with 5 minutes gone. Galway did manage to put in a better shift, but Donegal could well afford to take their foot of the gas. Galway tried to put the high ball in to Paddy O’Rourke, but to little effect. When Sean O’Donnell was shown a second yellow card and had to leave the field of play Galway’s task became even harder. The last 20 minutes of the game ran it’s course as Donegal continued to pop over the points. After a display like this, Donegal have to be considered red hot favourites to lift the fourth senior football championship in the history of the club.

Referee: Syl Doyle (Loch Garman)

Man of the Match: Derek Maguire (Donegal)

Donegal: P. Boyle, D. Reynolds, M. Canny, K. Mulhern, G. Reynolds, K. Cassidy, B. Donnelly, B. White, E. Kelly, D. Dolan, F. Clancy, D. Maguire, K. Williams. Galway: P. McComiskey, J. O’Callaghan, D. Wynne, S. Gallagher, E. Whelan, S. O’Donnell, E. Kavanagh, T. Walsh, J. Kehoe, M. Kenny, D. Reddin, K. O’Grady, P. O’Rourke.

Connacht Ladies into Senior Football Final

Connacht Ladies 2-11 Tir na nOg 1-9

Boston’s newest club, Connacht Ladies, are in the Boston final in their first season thanks to a semi-final win over Tir na nOg. Early in the second half it looked as though the current champions might pull through, but Connacht struck with a Jane Ward goal and four unanswered points to finish the game.

It was a tight first 30 minutes between Connacht Ladies and Tir na nOg. Connacht got off the a flying start with a goal from Imelda McNulty, however Tir na nOg got their act together and picked off four points from local girls, Sinead Bannon and Caroline Nee, followed by Noelle Healy. Connacht’s Jane Ward and Louise Brett kept their team’s noses in front with a point each as the game ebbed and flowed, and then Tir na nOg struck with a great goal from Nee. Healy made a run from the middle of the field and the Dublin county player found Nee on the edge of the square with a great pass; Nee sidestepped the keeper and netted. Aisling Kerr, another of the youth graduates, did well clearing up at corner back for Connacht. Jackie McDonagh put Connacht in the lead with a point, and Ailbhe O’Neill did well to save a close range shot from Ward to keep it a one point deficit at the break.

Tir na nOg got off to the better for the second 30 minutes. Nee pointed twice to put the champions in the lead, but the girls from Connacht came back to level through Brett. The Sligo county player then followed with another point. Connacht then struck with a goal from Ward to send them into a four point lead with the last quarter of the game to play. Tir na nOg rallied to try and turn the tables. Healy and Keoghegan pointed to reduce the deficit to two points and it seemed as if the tide could turn as Tir na nOg looked like they had the advantage in possession. The newcomers finished stronger however. Connacht played the ball well when in possession and converted scores from and ended the game with four points on the trot from Ann Marie McDaid (2), McNulty, and Brett. And so, it will be the oldest and newest ladies football clubs in the final next week, when Boston Shamrocks provide the opposition for Connacht Ladies.

Referee: Norbert Walsh (An Mhi)

Player of the Game: Louise Brett (Connacht Ladies)

Connacht: C. Heraty, L. Burns, J. O’Connell, A. Kerr, L. Ryan, I. McNulty, M. Treanor, K. O’Shea, C. Newton, M. Mullan, L. Brett, A. McDaid, J. Ward, S. Ryan, J. McDonagh. Tir na nOg: A. O’Neill, N. O’Neill, J. Davoran, K. Coombes, C. Mullen, N. Daly, C. Keoghegan, A. Connolly, P. Greene, C. Hanley, N. Healy, L. Kehoe, S. Bannon, C. Nee, M. Walsh.

Junior B Football - Cork 1-13 Galway 3-7

Both junior B football semi-finals went to extra time, and still could not be resolved. Replays will be required next week for both games. Saturday evening Cork and Galway served up a fantastic contest. Galway had gone unbeaten all season and Cork qualified as the underdog. It was a game that belied it’s status as junior B both in terms of the intense manner in which it was contested, and in the quality of football played by both sides. The rebels led by two points going into the last few minutes when Tom Walsh stuck with a zinger of a goal for Galway. Cork fought back to level with a point just before the final whistle and we had extra time. Cork struck first with a goal from John Crowley and hang on until the final minute when Jamie Kehoe netted to draw Galway level.

On Friday night, Kerry and Donegal also could not be separated after 80 minutes of play and the final score was Kerry 1-15 to 0-18 for Donegal. The finalists will not be decided until next week.

Tom’s Blow Past Wexford

Junior Hurling - Fr. Tom Burke’s 1-13 Wexford 1-5

The Boston and North American junior hurling championship will have a new name on it after Fr. Tom Burke’s out hurled the champions on a wet, chilly Saturday afternoon. Tom’s had Gavin Nugent and Tadgh O’hUallachain in the half forward line to do a lot of damage, and the back line held up when called upon. After a tight first half, Tom’s pulled away in the second to setup a showdown with Tipperary in next Saturday’s final.

John Cuddy got Tom’s on the scoreboard with a free in the first minute, but Wexford answered almost immediately with a goal from Gearoid O’Connor, who pulled on a ball across the box from Peter Ryan. O’Connor was making his return from a serious injury suffered in the Sheehan Cup. Gavin Nugent then put three well taken points over the bar and Tom’s were ahead once again. Dominic Magill did well at center back, and had Cormac Joyce-Power to contend with. Joyce-Power won a handful of balls, but the shooting Magill might have had the edge in the first half. Kevin O’Grady popped over a couple of points for Wexford, but Tom’s finished the half strong with points from Cuddy, Nugent, and O’hUallachain.

The second half began with Wexford trailing by a point, and it did not take long for the gap to widen between the teams. Nugent and O’hUallcahin were rampant. Each added a point to the Tom’s lead. James Dooley toiled hard in the Tom’s rearguard, and with Joyce-Power moved to corner forward the Liemrick man eventually was rewarded with a point for his efforts. Wexford’s first score came with more than 20 minutes gone in the half, and the Brighton men were chasing a lost cause at that stage. Tom’s lead was six points. O’hUallachain put the nail in the coffin with a goal after a typical solo run and that was it. A fully deserved win for Tom’s who have the final to look forward to next weekend.

Referee: James Owens (Loch Garman)

Man of the Match: Tadhg O’hUallachain (Fr. Tom’s)

Tom’s : F. Keenan, L. Guinan, T. Doran, J. Mooney, D. Costello, J. Dooley, B. Smith,J. McGrath, T. O’hUallachain, C. Joyce-Power, G. Nugent, D. Hession, J. Cuddy. Wexford: K. Kehoe, D. Brennan, P. Nolan, R. Kelly, D. Magill, J. Whelan, JJ O’Neill, J. Foley, D. Power, P. Ryan, C. Kerins, G. O’Connor, K. O’Grady.

Junior A Football - Donegal 0-13 Aidan McAnespies 1-8

The second junior A finalist was decided Sunday morning. Donegal came from behind late in the second half after looking comfortable in the first. McAnespies opened the second half with a flurry of scores to take a five point lead into the last 10 minutes, but Donegal rallied with seven points on the trot to make the final next Sunday.

The first period saw McAnespies open a two point lead before Donegal got into the game. Aaron Mcloughlin pointed first and was followed by Peadar Nugent. Donegal had most of the possession, but wasted several chances. Points from a Paddy McMyler free followed by a Christy McLoughlin point and a lovely score from Kevin Curran put Donegal ahead. Most of the chances fell to the men from Tir Chonaill who looked the fitter side. Paddy McMyler added another free before the half time whistle, and Rocky Ivers a fifth point followed byPaddy Wanish. McAnespies generated a handful of chances that drifted wide and Donegal led by 0-6 to 0-2 at the break.

Before the second half was five minutes old McAnespies were on top. A burst of scores to open the half from Enda Hamill, Fergus McMahon, and Nigel Regan erased Donegal’s lead. Regan netted in typical fashion from close range and Enda Hamill almost had a second, but Jonathan Byrne got a hand to the shot and tipped it over the bar. McAnespies looked far from sluggish now. The fresh legs of substitutes Hamill and Neil Donaghy gave the team a lift. Fergus McMahon was more involved in the middle while at the back Steven Magill and Barry Smith did well. Paddy Stones added a point and with 10 minutes left Donegal were the ones with the gap to bridge. The northerners came forward in waves and for McAnespies it was all hands to the pump. The breaks in the middle were going to Donegal and three pointed frees on the trot from Kevin Curran and Paddy McMyler closed the gap to three points. Christy Bell had a shot that was destined for the far corner and Smith acrobatically tipped it over the bar. The excitement grew as Bell pointed to level the scores. Barney Friel put the winning score over the bar.

Referee: James Owens (Loch Garman)

Man of the Match: Enda Hamill (Aidan McAnespies)

Donegal: J. Byrne, P. McNulty, D. McBride, P. McLoughlin, E. Doonan, D. Doherty, C. Bell, M. McGinty, R. Ivers, K. Curran, P. McMyler, C. McLoughlin, D. Green. Macs: N. Duffy, P. McCusker, G. McAlinden, A. McLoughlin, G. Hennessey, B. Smith, F. McMahon, S. Lynn, S. Magill,A. Comerford, E. Daly, P. Nugent, N. Regan.

Wolfe Tones 2-8 Shannon Blues 1-3

Conditions were less then ideal when the Tones and Blues met Saturday afternoon to decide who would advance to the Junior A Football final. The wet greasy conditions did not lend themselves to perfect football, but it was an incident filled game that the Tones did well to come out on top in. The outcome revolved around a second half penalty that would have drawn the Blues level with a man advantage. Gary Henry’s kick was well placed but came off the underside of the crossbar.

There was just one score from play in the opening period, Mike O’Brien fought hard to create an opening and put the ball over from a tight angle. The Tones established a lead through the opportunities that came from free kicks, and Mick Sammon was on the mark for three. Gary Henry popped over the Blues lone score of the half from a 21-yard free as they struggled to create many openings. The Tones did a little better working the ball forward through Kevin Keelan, Gavin Walsh, and Ger Molloy. At the break it was 0-4 to 0-1 in favour of the Tones.

The Blues got the second period off to the best possible start with a well worked goal. Pat Murray was the link man all the way through, and was the finisher from 14 yards. After Mick Sammon pointed from a free the Tones netted a goal of their own. Center back, Cormac Davey too a speculative shot from distance as the Blues defence frustrated the Tones, and Kevin Gorham may have tipped the ball into the net and wrong footed Blues keeper, Declan Hawes. The Tones had to play the final 20 minutes of the game with a man down after Mick Sammon was red carded for a challenge. The Blues had a chance to draw level after Maurice Young’s shot was illegally blocked in the penalty area. After a second chance, Gary Henry’s kick came off the underside of the crossbar and the omens did not look good for the Blues. The Tones added to their lead with a goal from Marty McGeough, the opening was created by some good running from Mike O’Brien and Gavin Walsh. The Tones worked hard to make up for the deficit in personnel, Walsh and Gorham added points and with less then 10 minutes left the Blues were looking at closing a seven point gap. The Tones played out the remaining time and advance to the final next Sunday.

Referee: Syl Doyle (Loch Garman)

Man of the Match: Mike O’Brien (Wolfe Tones)

Tones: B. Murray, A. Rooney, K. Gill, M. O’Brien, C. Davey, E. Carr, K. Keelan, J. Farrell, G. Walsh, G. Molloy, K. Gorham, M. Sammon, J. Carroll. Blues: D. Hawes, M. Moriarty, C. Fitzgerald, C. Mullins, C. Wallace, T. Hernon, N. Murray, P. Murray, M. Flynn, K. Killeen, E. Driscoll, J. Feeney, G. Henry.

Captains Brian Curran and Colm McCrory with referee Syl Doyle.Boston GAA