Q: I’ve been a US legal permanent resident for almost ten years, and my green card is expiring soon. What is the current procedure for renewing it?

A: Immigrants filing applications to renew permanent resident cards, commonly known as “green cards,” need to file Form I-90 (which can be downloaded together with detailed instructions at www.uscis.gov) with US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The form can be mailed or sent by courier to the address specified in the instructions. The renewal submission also can be made electronically; go to www.uscis.gov and follow the instructions for on line filing of Form I-90.
Applicants receive by mail a notice for a biometrics (fingerprint) processing appointment at a local USCIS Application Support Center and submit any required initial evidence and documentation during that appointment.

IMPORTANT: Applicants are being instructed to take to their biometrics appointments the records of any arrests, convictions, or any other involvement in criminal matters since last being granted legal permanent resident status. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officers have been attending these appointments and reviewing the documentation supplied by applicants. Some applicants have been detained because of the criminal records they submitted or because their names appeared as a result of an ICE investigation as having outstanding criminal warrants. Accordingly, it is IMPERATIVE that you obtain legal advice before your biometrics appointment if you have ANY issues involving past or pending criminal proceedings anywhere in the world.

IIIC can help you with the I-90 renewal filing process, as well as the application for getting a new green card when the original has been lost, stolen or mutilated, as well as when the card issued contains incorrect information.

Note: Holders of two-year conditional permanent resident cards based on marriage to a US citizen don’t file Form I-90 to remove the condition; they use Form I-751 instead.

By the way, anyone who has been a legal permanent resident long enough to be eligible for US citizenship really ought to consider applying for naturalization as soon as possible. IIIC can help you with the all aspects of the naturalization application process.

For a free, confidential consultation on this or any other aspect of immigration law, visit one of our legal clinics advertised in The Emigrant.

Disclaimer: These articles are published to inform generally, not to advise in individual cases. Immigration law is always subject to change. The US Citizenship and Immigration Services and US Department of State regularly amend regulations and alter processing and filing procedures. For legal advice seek the assistance of an IIIC immigration specialist or an immigration lawyer.

Irish International Immigrant Center
100 Franklin Street, LL-1, Boston, MA 02110
Telephone (617) 542-7654 Fax (617)542-7655
Email: immigration@iiicenter.org Web site: www.iiicenter.org
An organization accredited by the US Department of Justice