From time to time, we get calls from people who want to file tax returns but are not yet in possession of their social security numbers. This month a young lady asked for help on getting a tax identification number because her employers asked her to do so.
Each year, millions of dollars are paid to the IRS by immigrants who are using ITINs.
Any individual who is not eligible to obtain a SSN must furnish a taxpayer identification number (TIN) to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) must first apply for a TIN on Form W-7 you may, using your TIN file taxes each year you derive income from sources in the US. Forms can be found here - IRS Forms

Each ITIN applicant must:

Apply for an ITIN on Form W-7 Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number & attach a federal income tax return with the Form W-7. Applicants who meet an exception to the requirement to file a tax returns (see the instructions for Form W-7) must provide documentation to support the exception. Do not complete Form W-7 if you have an SSN or are eligible to obtain an SSN.
The documents to prove identity may include the following:

A passport, a driver's license, or an identity card issued by a state or national government authority. Submit copies of original documents. Complete the W-7 and mail along with original or notarized copies; include your federal tax returns to the IRS. Many people are more comfortable using a certified public accountant for this application.

Social Security Number Applications

You can apply for a SSN either by mail or in person, but it may suit most people to apply through the mail. You can apply for a SSN by going to this website. Social Service Application Online or find an office near you, Social Security Online Services

Next Legal Clinic

Legal Clinic
Our next legal clinic will be on September 3rd at 630 pm in The Banshee, 934 Dorchester Ave. Dorchester.
Disclaimer: Please note that the information contained in it is provided to inform generally, and is not intended as a substitute for individual advice. Immigration law is subject to frequent changes and individual circumstances can affect the application of certain legal provisions. For individual legal advice, please contact the Irish Pastoral Centre directly regarding upcoming legal clinics or consultation with an immigration attorney.