Gibbons is the Irish family name of the day,
Fitzgibbons; Gibbonson; Gibbens; McGibbons; Gibbon, etc...
Varient Spelling Groups: #618, 695, 2342
From The Guide to the Various Spellings of Irish Family Names
Families of the name of Gibbons may stem from any of several
separate origins. Some likely come from the family of Fitzgibbon,
having dropped the "Fitz" from the name. The Book of Irish
Families, great and small, makes note of the Mayo family of
MacGibbon, also adopted by some of the Burke family !
As our Irish Roots Cafe member today is interested in Mayo,
we find Gibbon and McGibbon listed as among those on the
Mayo Book of Survey and Distribution. They are also listed
among the ‘New’ settlers in Mayo and Sligo, and again linked
to the ‘Bourke’ family. One branch of the name is centered in Erris.
They are fairly numerous in our records and our genealogy books,
being represented in many counties. The Irish Families project
research book entitled County Mayo, Ireland, genealogy and
family history notes, may be of interest to those searching
family in Mayo as well.
From the Irish Book of Arms
A Brief search in that work shows Fitzgibbon:
1) Fitzgibbon as Earl of Clare, known as John Oge Fitzgibbon,
with further information. Another link to the name is given in section
one of that book, with the arms illustrated in colour (Fitzgibbon). The
Fitzgibbon family arrived in Ireland with the Normans quite early.
The Free Master online book index at www.Irishroots.com shows:
Listings for the name 62 times, here are a few examples:
1) Gibbons & McGibbons in Co. Mayo genealogy and family history notes,
plus Gibbons chart.
2) T. Gibbons: Co. Meath & Westmeath genealogy notes...(book)
3) MacGibbons in the Annals of Ireland by the 4 Masters
4) G. Gibbons in Co. Limerick, Ireland, genealogy and family hist.....
5) Gibbons of Covinger: The Families of Co. Limerick, Ireland
6) John Gibbons in the Families of County Dublin, Ireland
7) Gibbons in Families of County Cork, Ireland (and others)
You can use this free index to search for your family name:
Remember to leave off the Mac or O when typing your name.