Every 15 seconds, an older adult is seen in an emergency department for a fall-related injury.
This Fall take control of your health, here are 6 easy steps to Prevent a Fall:
1. Find a good balance and exercise program: Look to build balance, strength, and flexibility.
Contact your local Area Agency or Eileen at the IPC. Find a program you like and take a friend.
2. Talk to your health care provider: Ask for an assessment of your risk of falling. Share your history of recent falls.
3. Regularly review your medications with your doctor or pharmacist: Make sure side effects aren’t increasing your risk of falling. Take medications only as prescribed.
4. Get your vision and hearing checked annually and update your eyeglasses: Your eyes and ears are key to keeping you on your feet.
5. Keep your home safe: Remove tripping hazards, increase lighting, make stairs safe, and install grab bars in key areas.
6. Talk to your family members: Enlist their support in taking simple steps to stay safe. Falls are not just a seniors’ issue. (National Council on Aging, 2013).