Only 14 hours after he was released from jail, a convicted rapist attacked a woman while he was under police surveillance, according to the Irish Independent.

Trevor Byrne, a 32-year-old man from Dublin, was under police surveillance after completing a 5-year sentence for attacking a woman in 2005, which happened just 36 hours after he had finished a 15-year sentence for an 18-year-old woman in November of 1993.

The third attack and attempted robbery, on a 24-year-old French woman, occurred only hours after he was released from prison a second time. In the latest incident, Byrne followed the woman, Noemie Krey, in the early hours of the morning and forced his way into her home. The garda watching him saw him enter the victim’s house but said he “did not know the context of him entering the house” and that he later “saw him running away.”

Byrne pleaded guilty to the attempted robbery of Ms. Krey at Leo Street, Phibsborough, Dublin, on September 15, 2009. He also pleaded guilty to two counts of burglary at the same address on the same date.

He will be sentenced in March.

Garda Ronan Hobbs told prosecutor James Dwyer that Krey was walking home from a social gathering when she saw a man in a red hoodie walking toward her but thought nothing of it. After calling here friend to tell her she had reached home, she saw Byrne coming towards her. Krey asked him what he wanted, but he grabbed her phone and hit her on the side of the face with it. He told her to open the door and followed her inside demanding money. Krey told him that she had to get the money from the bedroom where her roommate was sleeping. As she walked upstairs, Byrne walked beside her and grabbed her. She knocked on the door and Byrne left the scene when her roommate came out of the bedroom.

Byrne was arrested the next day. He denied the incident and would not participate in an identity lineup.

Ms Krey told the court she had suffered nightmares since the incident.

"I will always be connected in some way with Trevor Byrne's life. I just hope that nobody else has to go through what I had to -- it's horrible," she said.