Irish baby twins are in a serious condition in hospital in England after being mauled by a fox in their London bedroom.
The nine month old twins were silently sleeping in their cots and their parents were watching television downstairs when the fox entered their house.
Emergency services were immediately called to the house after the fox entered through a door that had been left open for ventilation.
Mother Pauline Koupparis, who is from Northern Ireland, told the BBC that she went to her daughters' aid when she heard a “funny cry . . . it was quite muffled but very pained”.
"I went into the room and I’ve seen some blood on Isabella’s cot. I thought she had a nose bleed. I put on the light. I’ve seen the fox and it wasn’t even scared of me.
“It just looked me directly in the eye. I started screaming when I realised Lola is also covered in blood.”
She added, "The fox didn’t even leave the room. My husband lunged at it three or four times and he sort of moved a few inches each time.”
Both children suffered arm wounds with one of the girls suffering serious serious injuries to her face.
A Scotland Yard spokesperson said: “Officers and the London Ambulance Service attended and found two nine-month-old girls with injuries.
“Both babies were taken to an east London hospital where their condition is described as serious but stable.”
An animal welfare consultant John Bryant said the it was a "freakish event".
"I’ve only heard of two cases in my 40 years of dealing with foxes – one of which turned out to be a German Shepherd [dog] and the other a cat.”
Food & Drink
Killer chocolate baked Guinness donuts with Irish cream glaze recipe