After decades cloaked in mystery, a local councilor has welcomed Antrim Guardian revelations about the ructions that culminated in the demolition of Antrim Castle.

Environmental crusader Neil Kelly said he was 'very pleased' that the lid was finally lifted on how the late Lord Massereene reacted to the destruction of his ancestral home - even though he accused Antrim Rural Council of having 'no feelings of sentiment, tradition or honor'.

The 13th Viscount added the Council's decision to tumble rather than preserve was 'a wicked thing to do'.

The Alliance rep declined to go that far and instead he has urged local people to celebrate their common heritage by looking to the future - and the multi-million pound regeneration of the Castle Grounds.

“I was very interested in the article regarding the history of Antrim Castle and in particular how it came to be demolished," said Councilor Kelly. “I agree that it is an absolute shame that this piece of Antrim history was taken from us and can never be replaced. It seems this decision was taken back in 1967 by Antrim Rural Council and if that is the case I am sure it was not taken lightly. “Hindsight is a wonderful thing and as I am not fully aware of the context in which the decision was taken I find it hard to be too critical."

While the castle was destroyed, he added that the ongoing restoration of its Grounds were a 'cause for celebration'.

“I walk in the area every day and I must say it is a real pleasure to see the work taking shape. There will be additional gardens and also additional paths - many of which where in the original plans all those years ago.
“There will also be a restoration of the old duck pond which was filled in for many years.

“Clotworthy House will also undergo major work to become an interpretive centre which will show a history of the Grounds and hopefully other elements of local history, including the Battle of Antrim in 1798. ?“I was also delighted to hear that the Irish wolfhound statue currently outside the Forum will be moving to a prominent place back where it belongs in the Castle Grounds."

He added, however, that local people had a duty to help ensure that more historical treasures are not lost.

“I look forward to seeing the work complete and just hope that we can enjoy the outcome without the work being damaged," he said. ?“We have had several acts of vandalism and destruction while the work has been going on and I hope that we can stamp this out. We all have a role to play in this including the public, the PSNI and the Council. ?“Antrim Castle Gardens will be something we can all be proud of."
(Source: Antrim Guardian)


A Newry man appeared before the city’s Magistrates Court last Friday to face multiple rape charges.
Sean Heaton (46) is charged with two counts of rape, two of attempted rape and one charge of false imprisonment.  The attacks took place in Newry and Warrenpoint between January 2002 and August 2006.

DNA obtained from the accused following a recent incident of domestic assault linked him to the unsolved attacks, police said.

Heaton, from John Martin Street, was arrested after swabs taken from him following a domestic row at his home on May 13th were checked against a database and linked him to three serious sexual assaults.

The first incident occurred at 3.30am on January 13th 2002 in an alleyway close to Heaton’s home.  An 18-year-old was attacked from behind, dragged into the alleyway and subjected to a prolonged sexual assault and raped.

On April 11th 2004 a 21-year-old was attacked nearby and dragged into the same alleyway.  Following a struggle where the victim pleaded with her attacker to let her go, the attack ended.

Heaton denies any involvement in the crimes. Bail was refused amid fears of interference with witnesses and the personal safety of the accused.  He is due to appear in court again via video link on July 6th.

A High Court bail application is expected to be heard on Wednesday.


A local family have been left reeling after their beloved father suffered a heart attack and died during a night out. Eamonn Geoghegan of 28 Doonane Road, Crettyard passed away in the Dinn Rí complex in the early hours last Saturday week after suddenly suffering a fatal heart attack as he left the venue.

Eamonn had been attending his niece’s 21st birthday celebrations with his devastated wife Elizabeth when the tragedy occurred.

Despite the best efforts of a nurse who was nearby, he passed away in t he venue.Aged in his early 50s, Eamonn married his childhood sweetheart Elizabeth almost 35 years ago and the couple have three grown children: Eamon, Stephen and daughter Marie.

A heartbroken Marie, who lives in New York, had to watch her father’s funeral through videolink as she was unable to make the journey home to be with her devastated family.

A staunch Kilkenny m an, originally from Moneenroe, Eamon was described as ‘sports mad’ by those who knew him.

“He went to a lot of the Crettyard matches and he was very fond of the fishing and hunting. He was big into sports – anything with sports he’d go to it,” said Paddy Purcell, Crettyard GAA.
(Source: The Carlow Nationalist)


Thirty thousand euro isn't easily come by, the way things are, but if it meant your beloved five-year-old daughter could cast off her splints and skip through life despite Cerebral Palsy, no doubt you'd do everything possible to raise that money.

Tracey Fitzgerald from Mullagh has a big file which she goes through every day and from it she pulls out everything from lists of donors and sponsors to technical information about a costly medical procedure that she's hoping to book for her daughter, Casey. Trying to raise the funds is a huge undertaking that involves Tracey swallowing her pride and appealing to people's kindness. It's a labor of love, she admits, but while it's hard work, five-year-old Casey keeps her going.

Casey was diagnosed with a form of Cerbral Palsy as a toddler. Her movement is restricted due to her condition, and she wears splints on her legs, and uses a walking frame or wheelchair.
(Source: The Anglo Celt)


Contract documents for the purchase of Sixmilebridge livestock mart have been signed off with vendors GVM, paving the way for a return to trading at the mart on August 27.?The legal formalities on the €300,000 deal, funded by a farmer-led consortium and brokered by a negotiating team, have been completed and a public meeting in the village Wednesday night will select a board of management to oversee the running of the mart and put in place structures for its operation going forward.?

Paul O’Neill, a member of the negotiating team, confirmed to The Clare Champion that all the legal work has been finalized and all that remains to be completed now is the appointment of a board of management.?

“Wednesday night’s meeting will appoint a management committee that will take over the running of the mart. They will be given the brief to appoint the necessary staff and have everything up and running for the reopening of the mart on Saturday, August 27.?“As far as we are concerned, the date for the reopening of the livestock mart is set in stone. Everything is geared towards that date. There will be no going back,” he emphasized.
(Source: The Clare Champion)


An American pharmaceutical company has confirmed that it is to buy the Pfizer manufacturing facility at Shanbally in Cork, creating over 100 jobs in the next five years.

Pfizer had announced that the facility would close in September with the loss of 65 jobs but BioMarin Pharmaceutical has agreed a €34m deal to take it over.

Welcoming the announcement, the Minister for Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation, Richard Bruton TD said that the pharmaceutical sector ws one that Ireland could focus on to return to growth.

“If we are to get out of the crisis we’re in, one crucial aspect of this will be to build on our traditional strengths as an economy. The pharmaceutical industry has developed into a particular strength of the Irish economy in recent years: most of the world’s leading companies in the field have a presence here and we have developed an industry which plays a global role out of all proportion to the size of our economy.”
Source: (Cork Independent)


The family of a Derry mother who killed her daughter before taking her own life have slammed the General Medical Council after they cleared all doctors associated with her case of wrongdoing.

Madeline O’Neill (41), originally from the Rock Road, took her own life on July 12th 2005 after killing her daughter Lauren at their family home in Carryduff, Co Down. Mrs O’Neill, who had been suffering from depression, had just discharged herself from Gransha hospital after being transferred from Knockbracken in Belfast.

An independent inquiry into the deaths of Madeleine and Lauren O’Neill in 2008 disclosed that in the last month of their lives, health care staff missed a number of opportunities to get the mother and daughter help - opportunities which could have saved them. At the time it was revealed how two months before her death Madeleine told her GP and a private counselor about having suicidal thoughts and had made a reference to “taking Lauren with her”.
(Source: Derry Journal)


A rally fan killed after being struck by a competing car had been on the road for less than two seconds before the collision happened, an inquest has heard.

Richard O’Donnell, 18, from Jefferson Court in Strabane, died on June 14th, 2008 after being struck by a competing Ford Fiesta in Ballyare outside Letterkenny on the eleventh stage of the competition.

The inquest into his death at Letterkenny Coroner’s Court heard Mr. O’Donnell died after climbing over a gate onto the road from a field where he had been watching the rally. He was struck almost immediately by the car and his body came to rest 60 meters from the point of impact. The driver of the car, Elfin Evans, said in a statement that he had been driving between 90 to 95 miles per hour when someone suddenly appeared on the road. The man had his back to the car and he staggered across the road towards him. The car collided with a fence and ended up in a field following the collision.

A post mortem found he died from serious head injuries as a result of a road traffic accident. Dr. Katrina Dillon told the inquest there would have been a considerable degree of intoxication at the time of death.
(Source: Donegal Democrat)


Two men from Co Down pleaded guilty last week at Tralee Circuit Criminal Court to charges relating to the theft of an ATM containing more than €230,000 from a bank wall in Castleisland, Co Kerry, last November.

Christopher Murney (24), Chapel Hill Road, Mayobridge, Co Down, and Thomas Wilson (29), Sea Patrick Villas, Banbridge, Co Down, had been sent forward for trial from the District Court in Killarney.

Both men last week pleaded guilty to four charges relating to the incident at Main Street, Castleisland, on November 13th 2010. Both were remanded in custody to appear for sentencing in Tralee on July 15th next.
(Source: Irish Times)


X Factor judge Louis Walsh was interviewed by police on Friday over claims he sexually assaulted a man in a nightclub.

The 58-year-old pop manager met detectives after flying to Dublin hours after the allegations were made public.

He has denounced the claims as ‘completely unfounded and malicious’.

A source said: ‘Louis met police by mutual agreement, he did not meet them at a police station or at his home. He welcomed the chance to give his side of things and to start the bid to clear his good name.’

A 24-year-old single father claims Walsh groped him in the Krystle nightclub in Dublin on April 10.

However, police sources suggest a lack of CCTV evidence and the fact that the complainant has apparently changed his story on several occasions mean it is ‘very unlikely’ that the reality show judge will be arrested.

‘There has been a change of story a few times and there is no evidence at this stage that backs up the man’s claims,’ an insider said.

‘The [CCTV] footage shows very little and at this stage there are no immediate plans to interview anybody else in connection with this.’

Walsh has said he is ‘flabbergasted’ by the allegations.

He said: ‘The allegations made against me are wholly false and with no foundation.

‘I will happily cooperate fully with the police and am 100 per cent confident that after a full investigation I will be fully exonerated.’

According to the unsubstantiated claims from the alleged victim, the attack happened in the early hours of the morning when Mr Walsh is said to have visited Russell Court Hotel in Dublin.

 Earlier in the evening, Mr Walsh had attended a concert by Westlife, the Irish boyband he created.
The man allegedly told police he chatted with Mr Walsh in the hotel’s private Global Bar, before the pair moved on to its well-known Krystle nightclub.

His statement to officers claims the TV star then indecently assaulted him in the nightclub’s toilets.
(Source: The Evening Hearld)


A meat processing company in Fermanagh has ceased trading, putting 40 jobs at risk.

Tenderlean Limited, which is based in Derrylin in County Fermanagh, supplied pre-packed beef, lamb and pork to supermarkets, convenience stores and restaurants.

The company has called in administrators, who said there were no funds to continue trading.
The administrators have said they hope to find a purchaser.

Like other meat processing operations, Tenderlean faced sharp increases in the price of raw materials at a time when the retail market was experiencing recession.

Cattle prices have increased by 50% over the past three and a half years, resulting in a drain on cash.
Retail meat prices have not kept pace with rising farm prices and as a result companies like Tenderlean have seen margins squeezed.
(Source: BBC News)


A woman in labor was forced to wait in a toilet of the Maternity Unit at University Hospital Galway last week due to chronic overcrowding.

This happened in a week when the number of patients on trolleys in the A&E department reached an all-time high of 39 on Friday, the highest in the whole country; while an 80 years old stroke victim spent 34 hours on a trolley at the A&E last weekend.

When the Galway mother, who wishes to remain anonymous, arrived into the Maternity Unit last Tuesday night, the waiting room was so crowded with other women in labor that she was offered the adjacent toilet as the only other space for her to wait until she was admitted.

She did eventually get into a labor ward to deliver a bouncing baby boy, but Friday, another woman, who was in the early stages of labor, was sent home because there was no bed for her.

The closure of about 100 beds in the hospital due to staff shortages has taken its toll on the Emergency Department in the past year especially, and though there are about 3,500 babies born a year in the Galway hospital, reports of overcrowding in the Maternity Unit are rare.
(Source: GalwayBay Fm)


An 18-year-old man, who has been identified by gardaí as a suspect into the death of another teenager in Killarney in 2009, died after a fall down a stairs in a house in Tralee, the inquest into his death has heard.

Shane Regan, of Dromkerry, Fossa, Killarney, Co Kerry, had been attending a FÁS course in Tralee and was staying in a house in Caheranne Village, Tralee, the inquest in Tralee Coroner's Court heard.
On 24 August 2010, after leaving his course early because of a difficulty, he and friends had been partying.

They drank vodka first in the house in Caheranne and then later in Pearse Park in the town, where Shane Regan had fallen asleep.

He returned with his friends by taxi to his accommodation, appeared to sober up, but fell after backing out of his bedroom down the stairs. His friends checked him and believed him to be asleep, as he was snoring heavily and his pulse was good.

He appeared to have no injuries. They covered him with a duvet and left him asleep at the end of the stairs.

However he was still in the same position the next morning and his parents arrived from Killarney after being told about his fall the previous night.

He was taken by ambulance to Kerry General Hospital where he died next day.
(Source: Irish Times)


The Kildare Village outlet centre has been told that selling up-to-the minute fashions is in breach of its planning permission, planning sources have confirmed.

The determination from An Bord Pleanála was sought by rival retailer David Jones, who operates a number of shops at the Whitewater Shopping Centre in Newbridge, Co Kildare.

The board’s decision, taken at a meeting at the end of May, effectively ruled that Kildare Village centre had only planning permission to sell out-of-season clothes at discount rates and that sales of new products and in-season merchandise in the centre “would constitute a change of use”.

The board said the original permission for the outlet centre had been contingent on it not introducing new products which would be in competition with high street locations.

This was in the interest of protecting existing retail cores in towns and villages, in compliance with traffic management and retail planning guidelines.

Kildare Village is home to some of the best-known fashion brands and regularly offers discounts in the order of 60 per cent. Brands include Polo Ralph Lauren, Furla and DKNY, while internationally renowned Irish fashion designer Louise Kennedy has also opened a unit there.
(Source: The Kildare Nationalist)


A Kilkenny nursing home director once again failed to appear at an Employment Appeals Tribunal in Kilkenny to offer any defense in a case involving staff at the home.

A mother and daughter who were employed by the nursing home are subsequently to be awarded compensation after they detailed a litany of bullying and name-calling by Avondale Nursing Home boss Miriam Holmes.

Mary Dunne and her daughter Erica (23), both from Callan, Co Kilkenny, told the Employment Appeals Tribunal at Kilkenny Rivercourt Hotel that they were "constantly bullied", and that they felt that they were forced into leaving their jobs at the Avondale Nursing Home in Callan.

The tribunal heard that the defense failed to turn up this time and also on two previous occasions to offer defense in the case. The tribunal was also told that on this occasion Ms Holmes and her daughter were in Australia since last week ‘on a family matter’.

Five other former employees at Avondale Nursing Home have also lodged cases with the tribunal, including claims for unfair dismissal and constructive dismissal against the privately owned nursing home. They are being represented by trade union SIPTU.

Tribunal chairperson Kate O'Mahony last Tuesday automatically found that the mother and daughter had been constructively dismissed after Ms Holmes failed to appear at the Tribunal on three separate occasions.

A decision on compensation for Mary and Erica Dunne will be made at a later date.
(Source: Kilkenny Advertiser)


A man was arrested by gardaí (police) investigating the murder of Thomas Thompson in Co Laois over four years ago.

The remains of Mr Thompson were discovered in Dysart near Portlaoise in January 2008.

The British father of five, known as Tommy, had disappeared from his rented home nine months earlier.
Mr Thompson, aged 59, was originally from Yorkshire and had worked as a plastering contractor in Ireland for several years.

He was reported missing from his home in Borris Road on April 20, 2007.
(Source: RTE News)


A man in a white van who approached a young girl in Caherdavin may have been looking for directions, but the incident has been described by gardai (police) as “suspicious” and they are advising parents to be vigilant.

The driver of the 07-D registered vehicle gestured to the girl to approach the van in the Laurel Court area of Caherdavin.

The child “became fearful” according to Sgt Brian Broderick. She did not go near the van, and ran inside home to a parent who later alerted gardai.

The incident took place at around 3pm on Tuesday, June 14.

The van driver, who is believed to have been alone in the vehicle is described as being in his mid-thirties, and was of average build.

He had fair hair cut short; he was clean shaven, and he was wearing a white t-shirt.

“The van was a white van and the registration began with 07D,” said Sgt Broderick of the Crime Prevention Office.

“It is possible that this may just have been an innocent approach from a person looking for directions however this young girl took the correct course of action by not approaching a stranger and by seeking help from an adult.”
(Source: Limerick Leader)


Senior Garda (police) detectives believe the discovery of over €10,000 worth of cannabis plants found in separate searches in Granard and Edgeworthstown are linked.

Last Tuesday evening, officers from the Divisional Drugs Unit based in Roscommon seized an estimated €6,000 of cannabis plants from a house in Edgeworthstown’s Devine Crescent estate.

No arrests have been made, although gardai are said to be following a definite line of inquiry. Garda sources have intimated to those at the centre of the probe are local with arrests expected to be made over the coming days.

Described as an “ongoing surveillance operation”, this website can reveal gardai are linking the haul to a similar seizure made in Granard just over a week ago.

On that occasion, drugs officers recovered €4,500 of cannabis plants following a planned search of a house in Granada Drive. A man has since been arrested and is presently helping gardai with their inquiries.
(Source: Longford Leader)


Three County Louth businesses made tax settlements of over Euro 130,000 after being named on the latest tax defaulters list by the Revenue Commissioners last week.

In their report from January 1 to March 31 2011, the Revenue Commissioners accepted 78 settlements nationwide with three from Louth totalling e131,995.66 of the overall total of e15.5 million.

Thomas Agnew, with an address at Courtbane, Hackballscross, Dundalk had the highest settlement of the three. Outstanding tax of e23,410 plus interest and penalties of e32,023 meant that the farmer, company director and property developer made a total settlement of e55,433 for underdeclaration of income tax following a Revenue off shore asset investigation case.

Meanwhile, Thomas Agnew and Sons Ltd building surveyors, with an address at 71A Anne Street, Dundalk also made a settlement of e23,908, comprising e7,628 in tax and e16,280 in interest for an underdeclaration of VAT following a Revenue off shore assets investigation case.

Also making a settlement was Mid-Louth take-away owner Chuen Fu Cheung, with an address at Bridge Street Ardee. Mr Cheung made a settlement of e52,654.66 in total, comprising tax of e26,807.32 and interest and penalties of e25,847.34 for an underdeclaration of VAT and PAYE/PRSI.
Eight further people or businesses from the county also received fines, totalling e12,900 – the vast majority of which were for failure to lodge income tax returns.
(Source: Dundalk Democrat)


He – or is it she? – is one millionaire who will not have to worry about NAMA or share collapses at our big and broke banking institutions. Undoubtedly, Westport’s mystery millionaire is today sporting a smile broader than a Cheshire cat’s with a Lotto win last weekend of a whopping €2 million, courtesy of a ticket bought in McLoughlin’s Newsagents on Shop Street.

Naturally, shop owner Bláthnaid McLoughlin was thrilled that another one of her customers is a lottery winner – McLoughlin’s sold another winning ticket ten years ago.

“We are delighted there has been another winner here at the shop and we really hope it is someone local. We do not know the identity of the lucky winner yet but we wish them well,” she said last week.

Cllr Christy Hyland, a former detective garda (police) who has his ear close to the ground, confirmed there were various rumors as to the identity of the winner but he kept his cards close to his chest.
“Whoever it is, I wish them well. It will lift the spirits of everyone around Westport and hopefully make life easier for the winner.”

Two names in particular have been on the lips of many people in the town over the the last 48 hours, but The Mayo News was unable to contact either individual last week.

A spokeswoman for the National Lottery confirmed that the prizewinner had not come forward to claim the €2 million yet.
(Source: The Mayo News)


For years, methane gas produced by grazing cows has been blamed by many, including former Beatle, Paul McCartney, for causing global warming.

The knighted singer even wanted people to stop eating meat for that very reason.

However, researchers at Teagasc Grange in Dunsany, along with scientists in the University of Bristol, could have a revolutionary new way of measuring how much of the potent greenhouse gas, methane, is produced by cows and other ruminants, thanks to a surprising discovery in their poo. Researchers from the university and the Teagasc Animal and Grassland Research Centre in Dunsany have found a link between methane production and levels of a compound called archaeol in the faeces of several fore-gut fermenting animals, including cows, sheep and deer.

The compound could potentially be developed as a biomarker to estimate the methane production from domestic and wild animals, allowing scientists to more accurately assess the contribution that ruminants make to global greenhouse gas emissions.

Principal investigator, Dr Ian Bull of Bristol's School of Chemistry, said: "We initially detected archaeol in the faeces of several foregut fermenters, including camels, cows, giraffes, sheep and llamas. We then expanded the study to evaluate the quantities of this compound in the faeces of cows with different diets.
(Source: The Meath Chronicle)


The row in Co Clare over the removal by the National Roads Authority of road signs indicating hospitality and catering locations has spread to the northeast.

Councilors in Co Monaghan claim the Border county is losing trade revenue because of the failure by the authority to provide adequate road signage to towns and villages along the M1 Dublin-Belfast motorway and the N2 Dublin-Derry route.

Monaghan County Council has called for a review of the signage by the Government.

The president of Castleblayney Chamber of Commerce, hotelier Patrick McFadden, has also urged the hospitality sector to lobby the roads authority to approve adequate signage for hotels, guesthouses, lakes and other centers of interest.
(Source: Irish Times)


Councilors at Offaly County Council agreed to review the Fire and Emergency Service Plan ‘in the event of the council being in a financial position to do so’.

Edenderry’s Cllr John Foley called for the review in a motion he tabled during the June meeting of Offaly County Council.

Director of Services Frank Heslin gave a report on the operation of the fire services and said that 91% of calls were less than 21 minutes attendance times. He revealed that the greatest number of calls were in Tullamore and Edenderry with 108 each between January and May of this year, 47 each in Birr and Clara and 18 in Ferbane, with chimney fires accounting for the greatest number of these. “We are doing more with less,” said Mr Heslin.

Cllr Ger Plunkett said he was glad he abstained from voting to accept the plan. “I feel the people I represent in north Offaly are very vulnerable with the lack of stations,” he said. He said that Offaly should not be assisting Meath and Westmeath. “We should mind our own people in Offaly and forget about Kildare. Let them mind themselves.”
(Source: Offaly Express)


A Co Roscommon businessman is offering a landmark building in his home town, the former Rockingham Arms pub in Boyle, rent free to create jobs.

Gerard Kelly said that too many shops have closed down in his native town. Now in an attempt to create employment, and rather than see the premises become rundown, he is offering potential retailers free rent for one year.

Mr Kelly reckons there is nothing revolutionary about what he is doing and predicts that it will be a growing trend.  “I think it will be pretty commonplace. I have already seen free rent being advertised in other local towns.

His premises on the corner of Bridge Street and the Carrick Road has probably reflected all the changing  economic trends of recent times having operated as an estate agent’s and an internet cafe in the decade since pints stopped flowing there.

Now in what is being billed as “a sign of the times” a large advertisement, prominently placed in the shop window offering free rent, has passers-by doing a double take.

“My family has made a good living in Boyle over the years and I feel that if I could help get a business off the ground  and maybe even create a few jobs it’s better than having yet another shop closed up.”

While Boyle Chamber of Commerce has launched a successful initiative in recent months which has seen many shop fronts brightened up, the shutters are down on dozens of retail outlets.

“If you read the small print you will see that I am asking for a deposit to make sure whoever takes the building is committed,” Mr Kelly pointed out.

After just over a week he has been far from inundated, with just three inquiries so far.
(Source: Irish Times)


A 19-year-old driver who performed 'doughnuts' in the middle of the road near a service station at 3.45 a.m. before driving off at speeds of up to 200 k.p.h. as he attempted to evade a patrol car was fined €1,000 and banned from driving for four years by Judge Kevin Kilrane at Sligo District Court.

Before the court was Stephen Robinson, Dumadden, Hawthorn Avenue, Sligo who was charged with nine counts of dangerous driving on January 24th last and with failing to stop for Gardai (police) at Pearse Road.

The defendant was represented by Mr. Gerard McGovern, solicitor who entered a plea to the failing to stop charge and to one of the dangerous driving counts, at Tonafortes and the prosecuting Inspector, Sean McGinty accepted this.

Inspector McGinty said Garda Thomas Griffin and Garda Kevin Donegan were on mobile patrol at Pearse Road when they observed a car performing doughnuts in the middle of the road, opposite Innisfree Service Station. The car then drove into the forecourt followed by the Gardai who activated the blue lights in order to stop the vehicle.

However, the driver accelerated and drove straight at the patrol car, Garda Donegan having to take evasive action in order to avoid a collision.

The Gardai recognized the driver as the defendant and drove after the car as it headed up Pearse Road at speed. It reached speeds of around 120 kph and the driver failed to stop at a red traffic light at the junction with Cairns Road.

Robinson continued at speed and overtook another car as it approached the roundabout at the Carraroe Retail Park. The car failed to slow or yield at the Carraroe Roundabout and continued out the old Dublin road travelling at speeds of between 180 and 200 k.p.h. Gardai lost sight of the car at Ballydrehid, added the Inspector.
(Source: The Sligo Champion)


Music lovers will get a chance to hear some great music in Nenagh at a new summer festival that is being organised by Cllr Hughie McGrath.

And festival goers will get the opportunity to get do a bit of shopping in the town and bring aboost to the local economy.

The Bop While You Shop festival is the brainchild of Cllr McGarth an dwill be run on Saturday, August 13.

Nenagh Chamber of Commerce is fully upportiv of the event, and the traders along Pearse Stret have agreed to have their street pedestrianised for the day.

The Chamber has agreed to row in behind the orgainsers by coming up with fantastic shopping ideas and offers.

Cllr McGrath revealed that he has already booked some top acts for the day, including the Queen of Country, Louise Morrissey, Trudy Lalor, Marty Daniels and Norma Morriseey. Local band Ebony and an all-star country backing band will also take to the stage. The MC will be Fran Curry of TippFM.
(Source: Tipperary Star)


The Tyrone Ladies' Board has launched an investigation into separate attacks which left two individuals unconscious at the end of a county Football final.

The match referee was struck unconscious after St Macartan's beat Carrickmore in the decider at Beragh.

An official from the ladies' board was then also knocked out after being struck while trying to intervene.
Both men were stretchered off the field and the county board has wished them "a speedy recovery".
St Macartan's won thanks to a dramatic late goal.

A statement from the county board confirmed that there had been a "serious incident" involving county officials.

"The County Board roundly condemn the perpetrators of the assaults and confirm that a full investigation into the matter has been launched," continued the statement.
(Source: BBC News)


Waterford awaits up to 500,000 visitors and a worldwide focus as some of the world’s most majestic tall ships begin to make their way to the city with the wind in their sails for a four day party which is all but ready to begin.

The wait is almost over and the excitement is palpable in the city and county, which in recent weeks and days has been buoyed up with good news on the jobs front, international success in sport, and the bestowing of the highest honour the city can give to two of its greatest musical entertainers.

Swept along by the feelgood factor created by gold medal winner Oisin O’Gorman at the World Transplant Games, in Sweden, and the anticipation of another Munster Hurling final Waterford is now about to throw the country’s biggest street party with visitors coming from across the globe and from closer to home by car, bus, train and plane.
(Source: Waterford News $ Star)


Moate's Joe Ward has won a gold medal at the European Boxing Championships in Turkey.
The 17-year-old produced an excellent display of counterpunching to defeat Russian Nikita Ivanov in the light-heavyweight final.

Ivanov was the aggressor for much of the contest but Ward consistently landed the cleaner punches.
The Westmeath man led 7-3 after the first round, and extended his lead to 15-6 following a second round in which his opponent was penalised for a low blow.

The Russian shaded the third and final round but Ward had done enough to secure a memorable eight-point victory.

Earlier this year he defeated the 2008 Olympic silver-medal winner Kenny Egan to become Irish champion.
(Source: Westmeath Independent)


Four members of Wexford Sub Aqua Club were airlifted from the sea off Kilmore Quay, Co Wexford, last weekend after their craft capsized.

The four divers had left Kilmore Quay at about 7.30pm last Friday week, but an alarm was raised by members of the club when the rigid inflatable boat had not returned to the marina as expected at 10.30pm. While attempting to get back to Kilmore Quay, the boat overturned after suffering structural failure. All four divers were wearing diving suits which protected them from the elements.
(Source: The Irish Times)


Total of 18 defendants appeared before Arklow District Court last week after they were found on the premises of an unlicensed sheebeen in Avoca last year.

In an attempt to have the cases of a number of defendants dismissed solicitor David Tarrant submitted that they should not have been summonsed under the 1874 Act which the initial search warrant was ascertained, however, Judge Connellan did not accept this argument.

He said that Gardaí (police) obtained the warrant with a view to dealing with an alleged unlicensed premises and were obliged to act if additional offences came to their attention during that process. An application for an adjournment by Mr. Tarrant was accepted so that the 1874 Act could be brought into the courtroom to be referenced on July 20.
(Source: The Wicklow People)