Read more: Journalist Eugene Moloney murdered as attempted robbery goes wrong in Dublin
A 21-year-old man has been charged with the manslaughter of Eugene Moloney, a former reporter with the Irish Independent and previously the Irish News.
The 55-year-old journalist, well known for his coverage of “The Troubles”, suffered a blow to the head during, what was believed to be, a botched mugging, which took place near the journalists home on Camden Street, in the city center.
The attack took place in the early hours of Sunday morning. Moloney, who lived in Portabello Place, received medical attention at the scene and was brought to St James’s Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
On Monday morning, Gary Burch, of Kennington Close, Templeogue, was detained by police. On Tuesday he was brought before Dublin District Court charged with the manslaughter of Moloney.
Garda Sergeant Sean McAvinchey told Judge Victor Blake that when his charges were read to Burch he “made no reply”, reports RTE.
His lawyer, Michael Bowman, said his client has not yet indicated how would plead. No application for bail was made.
Moloney, originally from Donegal, had previously worked with the Irish News in Belfast in the 1970s. Later he relocated to Dublin where he worked for the Independent newspapers for over 20 years.