A high-profile Irish judge claims he became violently ill after drinking chemicals from a mineral water bottle given to him at a hotel and is threatening to sue, reports the Independent.

District Court judge Sean MacBride, who overseas court sittings in the Cavan/Monaghan area, drank the substance --thought to be cleaning fluid or anti-freeze--after ordering a bottle of water at the Hillgrove Hotel in Co Monaghan on March 23. He received medical treatment after the incident.

Police investigated the incident, which was also referred to the Health and Safety Authority (HSA) and the Health Service Executive (HSE).

Although the National Forensic Science Laboratory analyzed the water bottle and found that it did contain a number of different chemical substances, the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DDP) concluded no charges should be brought. It is believed the incident was an accident and occurred because a member of staff had stored cleaning fluid or anti-freeze in the bottle.

After the bottle of water was ordered, a staff member grabbed a bottle off a hotel cart, unaware that it contained cleaning fluid or anti-freeze and not water, and delivered it to the judge's room.

Judge MacBride is now threatening to sue the hotel for damages.

On Friday, Audri Herron, the owner of the hotel, declined to answer a series of questions on the incident.

"It is the policy of the hotel not to discuss any matter pertaining to guests who stay at the hotel," said a statement issued on her behalf.

"The hotel, management and staff are fully aware of their obligations in relation to health and safety of employees and guests and exercise due care in this regard at all times."