Airports have reopened and flights have resumed as Ireland's airspace has been cleared of another volcanic ash cloud

The Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) lifted flight restriction at 4 a.m. this morning.

The UK's National Air Traffic Services (Nats) announced that all airports across the UK lifted flight restrictions at 7a.m. this morning.

"The no-fly zone imposed by the Civil Aviation Authority tracking the high density area of the volcanic ash cloud has moved west overnight and has now cleared UK airspace," said Nats.

Since Wednesday morning, thousand of passengers have been left stranded in Britain and Ireland.

Ryanair has announced that it is operating all flights from Dublin, Cork, Shannon, Knock and the UK today.

Aer Lingus has announced that a full transatlantic schedule will resume today, as will the majority of short haul flights.

It is unknown if the flight restrictions will resume later today as the volcanic ash cloud in Iceland seems to be rising higher into the atmosphere.

The IAA's Donal Mooney said that flight paths may be affected, but he doubts full restrictions will be implemented over the weekend.

However, Ireland's meteorological office said that northeasterly winds are expected next week and this may push he ash cloud back over Ireland.

In the meantime, thousands of Irish passengers were stranded in airports around the world when yesterday’s flight restrictions were enforced.

One of Ireland's top GAA teams had to Fly from New York to London and then board a ferry to get home to Ireland.

The Galway GAA entourage of 121 people was told by Delta Air Lines that they might not have been able to get home until mid May.

Their nightmare was ended when they were told they would be able to board a flight to London on Monday night.

They spent 24hours in JFK airport before they flew to London, they then travelled o Wales and got a ferry home to Ireland

It has been a nightmare trip for the team as they were unable to enter their hotel in New York until 6.30 a.m. on Sunday morning because of the Time Square car bomb.

Galway Football Board chairman John Joe Holleran said that despite the bad luck, the team was in good spirits.