The 18-year-old man was arrested in Dunleer, Co. Louth, and is currently being detained at the Garda station in Drogheda to answer questions in connection to the murder of Cameron Reilly.

RTE reported that Reilly, 18, was last seen around the vicinity of Ardee Road in Dunleer at around 12:30 am on May 26. The body was found in a field in the outskirts of the town at 8 am that morning by a man who was walking his dog, with a subsequent examination finding that the teen was strangled to death.

Local gardai (police) are looking into reports that indicate there were a few youths present when Reilly was killed.

Breaking News this morning in the Northeast. A teenager has been arrested and is being questioned in connection to the Cameron Reilly murder in Dunleer Co. #Louth at #Drogheda Garda Station.

— Gavin Duffy (@GavinDuffy) June 15, 2018

One spokesperson for the garda stated: “As part of the investigation into the death of Cameron Reilly that occurred on 26th May 2018 in Dunleer, Co. Louth Gardai from Drogheda have this morning, Friday 15th June 2018 arrested an 18-year-old male in Dunleer, Co. Louth.” The youth is being detained under Section 4 of the Irish Criminal Justice Act of 1984 and the investigation is ongoing.

An appeal for information regarding the murder was made at Reilly’s funeral mass at St. Brigid’s Church in Dunleer, in which those with any pertinent knowledge were asked to come forward.

Read More: Drug gang silencing witnesses in murder of Irish teenager Cameron Reilly

18-year-old Cameron Reilly's body was found in a field in Co Louth last month

— RTÉ News (@rtenews) June 15, 2018

Fr. Murtagh, one of the parish priests at the church, noted during the homily that “Cameron’s death raises some difficult questions and I do not want to avoid them today.”

“I challenge our young people to examine the patterns of their lives and the direction in which their lives are going. I ask them to reflect on the kind of people they are turning out to be,” Murtagh added.

One of the policemen in charge of the investigation, Superintendent Andrew Watters, highlighted the need to find Reilly’s iPhone 8, which is said to contain crucial evidence as per The Irish Sun.

“Check bins, bushes or anywhere you think it might have been hidden. It’s vital we find this phone,” Watters added.

Read More: Louth teen strangled in front of “group of youths”