MEP Billy Kelleher formally declared his intention to seek the Fianna Fáil nomination to run in the race to succeed Michael D Higgins, for his place in Áras an Uachtaráin this afternoon, Friday, August 29.

In an email to fellow members of the parliamentary party, Kelleher said he is looking forward to engaging with them as soon as the formal process gets underway.

A former Irish Minister for Trade, Commerce and Labour Affairs, Mr. Kelleher was elected to the European Parliament in 2019, representing the people of Ireland South, but is now adding another string to his bow in his bid to be elected President of Ireland.

Prior to his election to the European Parliament, Billy was his party’s national spokesperson on Business, Enterprise, and Innovation.

It comes as Taoiseach Micheál Martin was rallying behind Jim Gavin, and contacting members of the parliamentary party to rally support for the former Dublin GAA football manager.

It is also understood that Mr. Gavin is keen to run.

Jim Gavin, pictured here in 2022. (RollingNews.ie)

Jim Gavin, pictured here in 2022. (RollingNews.ie)

Despite all the talk over the summer, and the people who hinted that they may be interested in running for President, the only name confirmed in the race is Catherine Connolly, who launched her candidacy with the support of the Labour Party and the Social Democrats.

Catherine Connolly. (RollingNews.ie)

Catherine Connolly. (RollingNews.ie)

Businessman Gareth Sheridan, who is trying to get his name on the ballot – with support from local councillors, has said it would be a dangerous precedent for anyone to try to ‘block’ Independent candidates from running.

Sheridan, the former CEO of US-based company Nutriband, launched a campaign for the presidency earlier this month.

*This article was originally published on Extra.ie.