A last desperate effort to solve the disappearance of Irish American Annie McCarrick when she lived in Ireland in 1993 is underway with a special police unit that deals with cold cases taking over.

Various theories, including that she may have been murdered by a serial killer who was apparently operating in the region during that time when several young women disappeared, have surfaced.

But Nancy, the mother of Annie McCarrick, a Long Island native whose disappearance is one of Ireland’s most high-profile unsolved cases, has said she knows she will never see her daughter again.

The 26-year-old Irish American was living in Dublin with two female roommates when she went missing in March 1993.

The last unconfirmed sighting of her was at 9pm on March 26 at Johnnie Fox’s Pub in Glencullen.

The Garda Serious Crime Review Team or ‘Cold Case Unit’ has taken over the case.

The Irish Independent reports that Annie’s mother Nancy traveled from her home in New York to talk to the Cold Case team and RTÉ’s Crimecall, a crime-investigation program, about her daughter’s appearance.

Speaking on Crimecall, Nancy told presenters that she now just wants to get her daughter’s body back.

"And it’s been a long time, such a very long time. I’m pretty sure you know that I’ll never see her again,” she said. 

“But I guess my greatest wish would be to be able to take her home. And have a grave that I could go to. 

"So to find out what happened to her really would be a great gift at this point. It really would."

Detective Superintendent Walter O’Sullivan said: "Investigators investigating her disappearance collected information at the time, to say that Annie visited Johnnie Fox’s Pub here, in the village of Glencullen, high in the Dublin Mountains. 

"The information suggests that she was sometime here in the pub between 9pm and 11pm. It was Friday, it was the 26th March, it was 1993."

Det Supt O'Sullivan said that Annie loved to walk in the village of Enniskerry in Co Wicklow. 

She was sighted on the 44 Bus from Ranelagh to Enniskerry at approximately 3.40pm. 

"We are reasonably satisfied that her journey took her beyond Milltown, but did she reach the village of Enniskerry?” said O’Sullivan.

"Would she have walked from Enniskerry to Johnnie Fox’s on that cold, wet, miserable evening? 

"Enniskerry is 6km away. It would have been dark. It would have possibly been between 8 and 9 o’clock when she embarked on her journey. Would Annie have walked this road?"

O’Sullivan appealed to anyone with information to come forward and help solve the case.

Her mother was due to arrive for a vist in 1993, but on March 26th, days before she was due to arrive, Annie failed to pick up her paycheck from the restaurant where she worked and did not turn up at a dinner party.

Annie's parents immediately suspected something was wrong.

Annie's father, John McCarrick, who has since passed away, stated at the time: "She would never have gone a day without talking to someone. We were very, very concerned."