With Halloween just around the corner, you can’t avoid doing a pumpkin soup! This recipe is simple and has no added creams.
· 2 small Pumpkins – deseeded. Use a spoon to scoop the flesh out from the rind*
· 1 large brown onion peeled and chopped
· 1 tbsp. oil – coconut or rapeseed
· 2 cloves of garlic
· 1 large sweet potato
· 1 tsp. cumin
· 1 tsp .mixed spices
· 2 tsp. vegetable bouillon or good quality vegetable stock
*Don't toss away the pumpkin seeds- use them to garnish
1. In a large saucepan pour in the oil and sautée the onion and garlic until browned and a little burnt.
2. Add in the cumin and mixed spice. Stir to release the flavors.
3. Next, add in your pumpkin flesh. Continue to stir to avoid the pumpkin sticking to the bottom, let it cook for 3 minutes.
4. Toss in the chopped sweet potato and 2 cups of water with bouillon or stock. Bring to boil and then let simmer for 15-20 minutes until potatoes have softened.
5. Using a powerful blender, cream the mixture until completely smooth.
6. With the pumpkin seeds, toast them in the oven for 10-15 minutes with smoked paprika or a spice of your fancy. Sprinkle on your soup for a delicious crunch.
Roz Purcell is an Irish model, health food blogger and entrepreneur. Her blog www.naturalbornfeeder.com is a haven for home-comfort style food, created with health conscious ingredients for those who may have a dietary intolerance or who want to be comforted guilt free!
You can check out Roz's healthy-eating blog here.
Check back to Irish Central soon for even more great recipes from Ms. Purcell and NaturalBornFeeder!