Donal Skehan is a home cook, food writer and television presenter who has written five cookbooks. He presents the TV show Kitchen Hero on RTÉ One in Ireland, Grandma's Boy on FOX International and is a judge on BBC's Junior MasterChef. Check out Donal's facebook, twitter and website and make sure to subscribe to his youtube channel for more culinary tips, recipes and food travels.
A perfect make ahead dessert. Creamy layers wrapped together with coffee soaked ladyfinger biscuits and dark and white shavings of chocolate- it can’t be beaten!
4 large free range eggs
4 1/2oz of caster sugar
1.1lb of mascarpone
1 teaspoon of good quality vanilla extract
9oz savoiardi di fonni or ladyfinger biscuits
10 1/2oz of best quality dark chocolate, in large thick shavings
5oz of white chocolate, in large thick shavings
1 1/2 cups of espresso
Splash of vin santo or Marsala Cocoa powder to dust
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until light and frothy.
- Mix in the mascarpone and vanilla until combined and set aside.
In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until white and stiff.
- Add a large spoonful of the beaten egg whites to the mascarpone and mix through.
- Add the rest of the egg whites and fold through gently.
- Spread a little of the mascarpone mixture across the base of of a trifle dish and then arrange the savoiardi di fonni across the base.
- Soak the biscuits in espresso and a swig of vin santo.
- Carefully spread a layer of the marscarpone mixture and sprinkle over a little of the dark chocolate shavings.
- Repeat with the rest of the ingredients ending with a final layer of mascarpone mix.
- Dust with a little cocoa powder and finish with a final garnish of dark and white chocolate shavings.
- Leave in the fridge to set for at least one hour.