A report claiming embattled Toronto Mayor Rob Ford fell around drunk at City Hall on St Patrick’s Day last year has left him fighting to save his political career.

The Mayor has refused to resign as police investigate claims he was caught on camera smoking crack cocaine.

The Ford scandal took another twist when the website GlobalNews.ca reported that security staff released an email relating to his behaviour on St Patrick’s Day 2012.

It says Mayor Ford was intoxicated, ‘sweating profusely’ and ‘had problems walking when he showed up at city hall on St. Patrick’s Day 2012 around 2 a.m.

The report says the email, with the subject line ‘Incident with Mayor Rob Ford (St. Patricks Day),’ was sent by city hall security staff at 3:52 a.m on March 18.

The mail details Ford coming back to city hall at approximately 2 a.m. with Chief of Staff Earl Provost and Policy Adviser Brooks Barnett.

The email reads: “It was quite evident that he was very intoxicated as he had problems walking, was sweating profusely and was swearing at Provost as he walked by the security desk.”

The email also reveals that Ford came back to the security desk several minutes later with ‘a half bottle of St-Remy French Brandy.”

It says he then ‘proceeded to make comments about how they stole his car’.

The security guard who wrote the email said that he had to remind the mayor that he didn’t drive to city hall that day and his car was parked at his Etobicoke home.

The report says security guards were concerned enough for the mayor’s wellbeing that they took his brandy and watched him closely once he wandered outside.

It adds: “We did our best at keeping him away from the public due to his condition.”

The security guard flagged down a cab for the mayor and Provost just before 3am.

The website reports some hesitation amongst staff about filing a security report about the incident.

The email added: “Due to the nature of the incident involving the mayor we will not be submitting any reports but hopefully this email will suffice.”

The email suggests the mayor was quite upset with someone whose name has been redacted: “On a couple of occasions [Ford] started to yell and swear … and made some very alarming allegations.”