Now that he has a new contract at a reported $10 million a year, Fox’s Bill O’Reilly is really on top of the cable world.
1. He had the number one show in cable TV for 137 months consecutively. That goes back to before Google was a public company and iPhones folks.
2. He’s making a fortune for Fox. Look what Roger Ailes said: "Bill's immense talent, intellect and raw convictions are an extremely rare combination in television and exemplify why 'The O'Reilly Factor' has been the number one program in cable news for more than a decade."
3. He’s done it his way. Sure he’s right wing but he never went off his rocker like Glenn Beck who looked like he might challenge him at one point.
4. He’s Irish which means he knows how to tell a story and earn a laugh -- he doesn’t take himself too seriously like the other pompous gits.
5. He makes an effort to have opposing points of view. Ever watch Hannity? It’s one-way criticism all the way.
6. He interviewed Obama, showed class and conviction to hear the other side, and the President responded.
7. He has real journalism training, as a former tabloid reporter and news breaker. It actually matters.
8. Still seems like a regular guy, friends tell me he still has his family out to local restaurants on Long Island.
9. Not totally predictable like the rest of the Fox crew on right wing topics, often throws over the traces.
10. Listen again to what Ailes said. "He is a tremendous force in the business and has helped to make Fox News the success story it is today." In other words he’s a cash cow for Fox.
Bill O'Reilly at his best: