Massive amounts of our valuable personal information are stored on our smartphones how should we protect our own data
Smartphones have long ceased to be just a means of communication. Today, these devices store a massive amount of valuable personal information, including access to accounts on social networks, private correspondence in instant messengers, bank card data, etc. According to VPN review, opportunities for hackers to gain access to all these data are growing with the development of the Internet. Therefore, more and more users are trying to take care of the protection of personal information.
Of course, relative security is provided not only by VPN (virtual private network) services. Some people use anonymizers, proxy servers, and the TOR browser. But sooner or later, most agree that these methods are weaker than a VPN. Anonymizers can only hide the IP address, but not encrypt the data. Proxy servers and a TOR browser store visit logs and often transfer the user's IP address to the target site. In addition, connection through a proxy significantly reduces the connection speed, and thus work on the Internet is simply impossible.
The main benefits of VPNs
First of all, the user's private traffic is transmitted only in encrypted form. This means that even if someone notices your actions on the Internet, he or she will not be able to see what you are doing. Replacing the IP address of your device with the address of the VPN server will also allow you to remain anonymous.
For example, if you use ExpressVPN, attackers would not see who and where sends the request. Consequently, they are technically unable to intercept traffic and use the data for personal gain.
The dangers of free VPNs
Not all VPNs provide the same degree of security. Therefore, experts warn about the dangers of using free services. The fact is that maintaining servers in working condition requires considerable resources. And if the service does not take money from its subscribers, then it receives funds from third parties in exchange for information about users that it collects.
The second reason why you should not use free VPNs is an extremely slow connection speed and server shutdowns. The number of people willing to connect to a free VPN is so high that the server simply does not withstand such a load.
Therefore, it is recommended to use paid services that offer all the benefits of a VPN at competitive rates. In this sense, ExpressVPN is among the industry leaders. You will get the following benefits:
- Access to any content, even to the one that is blocked in your country.
- Guaranteed anonymity. ExpressVPN does not save logs.
- The ability to connect to the server in another country, change the IP-address and save money on buying tickets and booking hotels. Booking services often offer different prices depending on the location of the user.
- Protection against hackers when using a public Wi-Fi network.
- Lack of obsessive contextual advertising.
- Separate Android and iOS apps. It is straightforward to install them. There is a detailed instruction on the site.
- The ability to use one account on two devices.
Choose a service suitable for your needs and feel secure while on the web.
* Dainan Gilmore is an enthusiastic expert in cybersecurity and works as a data privacy advisor for Bestvpnrating.com.