Tom Deignan is the author of "Irish Americans: Coming to America" (Barron’s) and served as a contributing writer for the book "Irish American Chronicle" (Publications International Ltd.).
He writes the weekly Sidewalks column for the Irish Voice newspaper and contributes a monthly Op Ed column to the Newark Star Ledger.
His writing has appeared in newspapers such as the New York Times, Washington Post and Irish Independent, and magazines such as Commonweal, America, Publisher's Weekly and Irish America. Currently an English teacher in Brooklyn, Deignan has taught history, cinema and English at CUNY, St. John’s University and Bowling Green State University.
Born in Staten Island, he lives in New Jersey with his wife and four children. He is currently working on a novel set in Brooklyn on the eve of World War II.
The real tragedy of Southie
How Eugene O'Neill took on the Ku Klux Klan
Dirty lies and ugly truth
New book explores how Notre Dame fought the KKK out of South Bend
Big question to be asked about taxpayers and Catholic schools in the US
You can mock Blarney Biden, but ...
Immigrant voters are becoming increasingly conservative in NY
It's a hell of a country
Bill Maher's St. Patrick's Day comparison between US and Northern Ireland
- 1 Ireland's friendliest car rental company is giving one winner huge savings!
- 2 Ireland to Wales camino set to become leading pilgrimage route in Europe
- 3 Seven charged with attempted murder of PSNI officer in Tyrone
- 4 Ceremony takes place to mark 100 years since end of Irish Civil War
- 5 Uilleann pipe-making course helps preserve one of Ireland's oldest musical instruments
- 6 Northern Irish area named UNESCO global geopark
- 7 The inspiring story of the man who founded the Rotunda Hospital
- 8 WATCH: Kayaker bumped by "curious" basking shark in west Cork
- 9 The top locations to visit in Ireland ranked