Ever wondered about how the Irish got that way?
Here are some intriguing facts and figures about the Irish in Ireland.
1. The average height of Irish men is 5' 8".
2. The average height of Irish women is 5'5".
3. 90% of Irish nationals are Catholic, but only 30% ever attend church.
4. The Irish report the lowest annual number of UFO sightings in Europe.
5. 70% of married Irish women would consider having an affair while on a foreign holiday without their spouse or children.
6. 90% of all Irish men would do the same.
7. 73% of Americans are unable to locate Ireland on a map bereft of country names.
8. Raymond O'Brien was the shortest person in Irish history. The dwarf, who died in 1795, was one foot eleven inches tall.
9. Only 9% of the Irish population are natural redheads.
10. May is generally the driest month of the year in Ireland.
11. RTE's "The Late Late Show" is the world's longest running talk show.
12. 57% of Irish people wear glasses or contact lenses.
13. Cats now outnumber dogs by two to one as Ireland's most popular pet.
14. Dublin boasts one pub for every 100 head of population.
15. Irish marriages last an average of 13 years, although the majority do not end in divorce. Irish couples prefer to separate and live in sin with their new partners rather than go through costly legal proceedings.
16. A song only needs to sell 5,000 copies to top the Irish music charts.
17. A book only needs to sell 3,000 copies to top the Irish bestseller list.
18. The Canary Islands are the most popular sunshine holiday destination with retired Irish citizens.
19. The River Shannon is the longest river in Ireland or Britain.
20. The heaviest Irish person on record was Aine Gowan. At the time of her death she weighed over 600 pounds.
*Originally published in January 2014.