Irish derivation: Mac Cárthaigh.
Name meaning: "Son of the loving."
Counties associated with the name: Kerry and Cork.
Coat of arms motto: "Nothing is Difficult to the Brave and Faithful."
- McCarthyism is named for US Senator Jospeh McCarthy, who pursued people he thought were members of a “communist conspiracy.”
- Fineen Mac Carthy Reagh, who was chief of the barony of Carbery in West Cork in 1572 and who resided at the famous Blarney Castle, is renowned for being the originator of the use of the word 'blarney' meaning a verbal smokescreen.
- McCarthy is the most popular "Mc" surname in Ireland.
Some famous McCarthys:
- Cormac McCarthy (b.1933, Pulitzer Prize-winning American novelist)
- Eugene McCarthy (1916–2005, U.S. Congressman and Senator)
- Mick McCarthy (b.1959, Football player and manager, former manager of Republic of Ireland)
- Nicholas McCarthy (b.1974, Guitarist of Scottish Indie band Franz Ferdinand)
- Tommy McCarthy (1863–1922, Hall of Fame baseball outfielder)
Log in with your social accounts:
Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:
Don't have an account yet? Register now !
Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:
Already have an account ? Log in
Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:
Make sure we gathered the correct information from you
You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.
Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: