The five teens involved in the M9 crash.

There had been speculation that a sixth teenager had been inside the BMW that traveled the wrong way down the motorway and got out before the crash. However, investigating officers are not seeking anyone else as part of their inquiries.

The claims had centered around a video that was shared on social media, seemingly showing the five teenagers who were killed inside a car with another youth.

However, gardaí suspect that although the car in the video appears to be the same BMW, the footage was not recorded in the lead-up to the crash.

A statement read: "Gardaí are aware of material circulating on social media claiming to be from inside one of the vehicles on the night of this incident.

"At this time, it does not appear this particular material was recorded on the night in question. In addition, at this time, the Garda investigation is focused solely on the movements of five individuals on the night of Saturday and the early hours of Sunday."

Social media platforms have been coming under fire due to the circulation of videos relating to the incident, including the documentation of reckless driving.

The remnants of the crash on the M9 motorway.

On Wednesday, it was revealed that TikTok could be fined more than €1.5 billion if it continues to show similar videos.

Media regulator Coimisiún na Meán said it has contacted TikTok to seek a full account of how it is dealing with these issues, including how it is dealing with reports of illegal content and how its own community guidelines are being applied.

Under its powers, the commission can fine platforms 6% of their global revenue if they do not adhere to their own terms and conditions. Last year, TikTok made around €25.5 billion, meaning it could be hit with a fine of €1.53billion.

Garda sources explained how the five youngsters were part of a growing group of teenagers who have been trying to "one up" each other by posting more and more dangerous videos on social media.

Niamh and Alma Kinsella, and Ella Hendricken from Carlow remain in hospital with serious injuries.

They said: "These young guys have been terrorizing communities for weeks, if not longer. They go out and target cars they believe don’t have immobilizers and then go out joyriding.

"Most of the time, they were wearing masks or balaclavas but at times they’d show their faces. They did not care if they were caught, as they knew they were underage and that there was little the courts system could do with them."

* This article was originally published on Extra.ie.