Irish strawberry shortcake
Irish America Magazine columnist Edythe Preet has fond memories of her father’s favorite foods. Born in Fermanagh and raised in Donegal, Preet’s father loves the traditional Irish “white food” staples of potato, butter and most of all cream. Below appears a recipe for his favorite dessert, Strawberry Shortcake.
DA’S BIRTHDAY STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE
2 cups sifted flour
2 tablespoons sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup butter, cubed
1 cup milk
Preheat oven to 450 F. In a large bowl sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut butter in until flour mixture is grainy. Stir in milk, just until blended. Spread dough in one 8-inch layer cake pan. Bake until medium brown, 12-15 minutes. Remove from pan and split crosswise while hot. Spread cut surfaces with butter. Fill and top with sweetened berries. Serve with Chantilly Whipped Cream on the side. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
4 cups strawberries
2/3 to 1 cup sugar
Wash and hull strawberries, then cut into halves or quarters depending on size. Place berries in a medium deep bowl and sprinkle with sugar to taste. Mix sugar and berries. Allow to sit for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until juicy.
Chantilly Whipped Cream:
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons sifted confectioner’s sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Chill a deep, preferably stainless steel, bowl and mixing beaters for at least 30 minutes before making whipped cream. When ready to proceed, pour cream into chilled bowl and whip until stiff with chilled beaters. Fold in sifted confectioner’s sugar and vanilla.
– Recipe: Edythe Preet
More #IRISHFOOD (4)
- Second Scranton Celtic Festival to build on fun and success with great acts and activities...
- New Irish festival GaelFest to showcase music, dance, sports, arts and literature...
- My top ten favorite Irish foods in most of Ireland's grocery stores - from Tayto crisps to...
- Results of the Ulster Finals of the Irish Restaurant Awards 2013 - top Northern Ireland ea...
- Enda Kenny, not the Catholic Church, speaks...
- $104 million Brian Boru biopic set to be...
- Irish ‘Mick’ fighter pilot was one of the...
- Nigerian migrants send $653 million a year...
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- Chilling testimony before congressional hearing
- The top 100 Irish last names explained
- Award winning Irish documentary ‘Men at Lunch’.
- Planned Parenthood support for Irish leader...
- Gay porn priest is appointed to new parish...