Twenty years ago, the Belfast Agreement was signed, marking the start of a new era of reconciliation, compromise, and progress in Northern Ireland.
On February 21 and 22 in New York City, IrishCentral and Co-operation Ireland will mark the 20 years since the Belfast Agreement was signed, changing the course of history in Northern Ireland.
Liam Neeson, who was born and raised in Ballymena, County Antrim, has a few words to say on why now is a key time to support peace and reconciliation efforts in Northern Ireland:
The two-day commemorative event will reflect upon the progress that has been made in Northern Ireland and examine the way forward.
Presented by Co-operation Ireland, the all-island peacebuilding charity founded in 1979, in partnership with IrishCentral, the event will draw leaders representing business, government, and community to participate in a series of panel discussions on the past and the future for continued peace.
A keynote address and luncheon will follow.
Some of our invited speakers and panelists include:
- Simon Coveney, Tánaiste, and Minister for Foreign Affairs
- Tom DiNapoli, NYS Comptroller
- Ciaran Madden, Irish Consul General
- Antony Phillipson, British Consul General
- George Mitchell, Former US Senator and US Special Envoy to Northern Ireland
- Nancy Soderberg, Former US Deputy National Security Advisor and Ambassador to the UN
- Ian Paisley, Junior, MP, DUP
- Pat Doherty, MP, Sinn Féin
- Eamonn Mallie, Journalist
- Deaglan De Breadun, Journalist
- Bruce Morrison, former US house representative
- Jim Clerkin, Chairman Co-operation Ireland USA
- Rev Bill Shaw, social justice leader
- Geraldine Holland McAteer, CEO West Belfast Partnership & Belfast City Councillor
- Trevor Ringland Co-operation Ireland Board Member, former rugby player, and solicitor
- Nisha Tandon, Director of Arts Ekta
A welcome reception will be held at 6:30 pm on Wednesday, February 21, at The VNYL, New York.
The conference and keynote luncheon will take place on Thursday, February 22, from 8:30 am to 1:30 pm at The Metropolitan Club, New York City. Information and tickets here.
We hope you will join us in celebrating this truly momentous anniversary.