Slainte and what the Irish words means on St.Patricks Day
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2011 at 09:55 AM
- Boston immigration center apologizes to young woman they turned in to U.S. authorities - “The IIIC is deeply sorry for the hurt and upset that this incident caused the young woman”
- The Irish community returns to Hurricane Sandy hit Rockaways to aid ongoing recovery
- Young Irish woman turned in to U.S. authorities by Irish immigrant support group - Boston-based Irish International Immigrant Center does the unspeakable
- Profile in Irish fighting courage - Heffernan’s campaign for respite care for families dealing with fatal rare illnesses such as Batten’s disease
- Senator Schumer says Irish deserve a separate deal for visas because of 1965 shutout - Says “Schumer visas” set to give Ireland 10,500 visas a year for the future
Slainte is the most used Irish expression in America our recent reader survey discovered.
Slainte, meaning Good Health' is an ancient Irish expression that derives from the word Slan, meaning safe.
It is used in different contexts, usually when downing a pint of Guinness, you say 'Slainte',before you begun drinking it.
It means literally good health.
There are many other expression that use slainte, such as 'Is fearr an slainte na an tainte" "health is better than wealth" in Irish
Another expression is 'Go dte tu slan" may you go safe which is what you say when someone is leaving on a journey.
Slainte na bfear' 'Good health to the men' is another derivative , which is used when drinking in the company of men.
Slainte na mbean, is the opposite when drinking with women!
Slan is another Gaelic term that sounds like Slainte but has a different meaning, It means goodbye.
Slan go deo, means 'goodbye for ever'
- Boston immigration center apologizes to young...
- Irishman John Downey arrested for 1982 IRA...
- Government minister calls for investigation...
- Justice Minister hangs on as Shattergate...
- Young Irish woman turned in to U.S. authorities
- Amnesty International says Ireland’s abortion...
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- New book ‘John F. Kennedy - Among the Germans’.
- Sleazy secrets and the American Dream of...
- ‘Quiet Man’ star Maureen O’Hara says John...