Irish derivation: Ó Briain.
Name meaning: "Descendant of Brian (Boru)."
Counties associated with the name: Cork, Clare, Donegal, Dublin, Fermanagh, Kilkenny, Limerick, Meath, Tipperary, Wexford, and Wicklow.
Coat of arms motto: "The strong hand from above."
- Queen Elizabeth II's maternal eigth great grand-mother was an O'Brien.
- Emerged as chiefs of the Dalcassian races from the south-west of Ireland.
- Founded by Brian Boru.
Some famous O'Briens:
- Conan O'Brien (b.1963, US comedian and talk show host)
- Soledad O'Brien (b.1966, journalist)
- Mick O'Brien (b.1961, traditional Irish musician)
- Miles O'Brien (b.1959, journalist and CNN anchor)
- Richard O'Brien (b.1942, actor and writer of cult hit 'Rocky Horror Picture Show')
Log in with your social accounts:
Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:
Don't have an account yet? Register now !
Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:
Already have an account ? Log in
Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:
Make sure we gathered the correct information from you
You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.
Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: