As the old proverb says "God could not be everywhere so he invented mother". How true this is and this weekend, Mother's Day, is the time to show it.
We've put together some Irish wit, sayings and songs that will help you celebrate your Mother this Mother's Day.
Blessings and Sayings:
- "Gods most precious work of art is the warmth and love of a Mothers heart."
- "There is but one and only one whose love will fail you never. One who lives from sun to sun with constant fond endeavor."
- "There is but one and only one on earth there is no other. In Heaven a noble work was done when God gave man a Mother."
- "A Mother holds her children’s hands for a little while... their hearts forever."
--"A Mother is one who can take the place of all others but whose place no one else can take.
- "Mom you have always overlooked my faults, but never my needs. I love you."
- "No matter how matured a Mother is she watches her middle - aged children for signs of improvement."
An Irish Mother’s Letter:
Just a few lines to let you know that I am still alive. I am writing this slowly because I know that you can’t read very fast.
You won’t know the house when you come home. We’ve moved.
About your father, he has got a lovely new job. He has 500 men under him. He cuts grass at the cemetery.
Your sister Mary had a baby this morning. I haven’t found out yet if it’s a boy or a girl, so I don’t know if your an aunt or an uncle.
I went to the doctors on Thursday and your father came with me. The doctor put a small tube in my mouth and told me not to talk for 10 minutes. Your father offered to buy it from him.
Your uncle Patrick drowned last week in a vat of Irish whiskey at the Dublin brewery. Some of his workmates tried to save him but he fought them off bravely. They cremated him and it took 3 days to put the fire out.
It only rained twice this week, first for 3 days and then for 4 days.
We had a letter from the undertaker. He said if the last payment on your grandmother’s plot wasn’t paid in 7 days, up she comes.
Your loving Mother.
P.S. I was going to send you 5 pounds, but I have already sealed the envelope."
"May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping."
Bridie Gallagher singing "A Mother's Love's A Blessing":
Log in with your social accounts:
Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:
Don't have an account yet? Register now !
Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:
Already have an account ? Log in
Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:
Make sure we gathered the correct information from you
You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.
Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: