Irish derivation: Ó Murchadha.
Name meaning: "Descendant of the sea warrior."
Counties associated with the name: Cork, Wexford, Roscommon, and Tyrone.
Coat of arms motto: Brave and hospitable.
- It's the most common name in Ireland. There are well over 50,000 bearers of the name in Ireland alone.
- There are more Murphys in the USA than in Ireland.
- Murphy's Law is named after Edward Murphy Jr. It derived from the US Air Force tried to test human tolerance to acceleration, and the project went awry.
- The "Murphy Bed" was the name of the concept to put one's bed in the wall to make space for other belongings.
Some famous Murphys:
- Sean O Murchadha na Raithineach (b. 1700 last recognized head of the Blarney bards)
- Patrick Murphy (b.1834 "tallest man in Europe" at 8'1")
- Charles Francis Murphy (1858-1924 Tammany Hall leader)
- Audie Murphy (1924-1971 most decorated WWII vet)
- Cillian Murphy (1976 Hollywood actor)
- Róisín Murphy (born 1973, Irish electronica singer, songwriter, and producer)
- Eddie Murphy (American actor)
Log in with your social accounts:
Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:
Don't have an account yet? Register now !
Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:
Already have an account ? Log in
Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:
Make sure we gathered the correct information from you
You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.
Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: