President Higgins honors Irish emigrants forced to leave in St. Patrick’s Day message
Delivers inaugural St. Patrick's Day message
Irish president Michael D Higgins paid tribute to the Irish diaspora in his inaugural St. Patrick’s Day greeting on Monday.
Speaking ahead of the national March 17 holiday, Higgins referred to the tens of thousands of Irish people who were forced to emigrate due to the recession.
"On this day, we think in particular of those Irish men and women who, over recent years, have been separated from their homeland through involuntary emigration," he said.
"While wishing them happy and fulfilled lives in their new countries, we firmly hope that economic circumstances will in time allow them to consider returning home to Ireland."
He said we must remember the "Irish are an enterprising and resilient people".
He concluded: “All of the Irish and those who are with them, wherever they may be and in whatever circumstances, are in all our thoughts on this day we share with the world. I wish all of you a very happy and peaceful St Patrick's Day”.
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- The New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-p
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Offensive NFL sign outside restaurant just...
- A Magdalene Laundry US adoptee who holds...
- No Irish prosecution for man named as world’s...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Baby dies in horror birth at Belfast hospital...
Dear Stan please not to put your words in my mouth, I do like you tolerance though to "these people". Seems like you practice what you findAdolf Hitler loved Irish folk music
This is a wonderful find. I've always loved Irish/Celtic music and am honored, albeit not surprised, that the great Adolf Hitler was likewise a fan.Man raped fiancee after they bought engagement ring court hears
He thought he bought a licenseBah! Humbug! The ten worst things about Christmas (PHOTOS)
Higginsmh that is your believe and I cam respect that but why can't you respect our beliefs the same way. No one has the answers to this life or if th