Fall back with Guinness Porter Cake
Guinness porter cake is traditionally supposed to be baked for St Patrick's day.
But that leaves another 364 days for the next go of porter cake and quite frankly, it should be eaten more than once a year!
Guinness porter cake is perfect for this time of year as it's the perfect comfort food.
The days are growing shorter, and in fact, next week, they will be getting shorter again with the end of daylight saving time.
The time change (remember the saying, 'spring forward and fall back') actually takes place in November this year.
So, with shorter days and cooler climes in mind, we've put together a recipe which will truly warm your heart and hearth.
And don't forget to keep a bottle of Guinness on hand for the cook!
- 1 lb cream flour
- 8oz sultanas
- 1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda or bread soda
- 8oz of sugar
- 8 oz Irish butter
- 3 eggs
- 4 oz mixed peel
- 1 lbs mixed dried fruit
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2oz almonds
- 1/2 pint of Guinness
Sieve the flour, bread soda & spices into a bowl.
Beat butter and sugar together for 5 to 10 minutes to a cream.
Add eggs one at a time and continue to beat.
Finely Chop almonds
Fold in Flour Mixture, Sultanas, Mixed peel, Almonds and Mixed Fruit.
Add Guinness. Mix well.
Turn in to a greased and lined 8 inch tin
Bake in the center of oven ( 300°F) for 120 minutes.
Check cake at intervals after 90 minutes.
Let cake cool a little in tin then stand on a wire tray. Cover with tea towel.
More #IRISHFOOD (4)
- Second Scranton Celtic Festival to build on fun and success with great acts and activities...
- New Irish festival GaelFest to showcase music, dance, sports, arts and literature...
- My top ten favorite Irish foods in most of Ireland's grocery stores - from Tayto crisps to...
- Results of the Ulster Finals of the Irish Restaurant Awards 2013 - top Northern Ireland ea...
- Chilling testimony before congressional hearing
- Enda Kenny rejects Dublin Archbishop's claims...
- Bill O'Reilly claims the Obama administration...
- Census shows more Catholics than Protestants...
- New reports suggest Robert F Kennedy’s wife...
- 'You attack one Muslim, you attack all Muslims'
- Young people worst affected by Ireland’s...
- Prospects for immigration reform bill are...
- Gerry Adams accuses British government of...
- New York’s Cardinal Timothy Dolan slams Governo