Internationally recognized Irish Chef Stuart O’Keeffe is a weekly food contributor for Dublin’s Evening Herald newspaper and in 2011 he debuted his own cooking show, Stuart’s Kitchen (airing in Ireland and New Zealand). Currently residing in Los Angeles, he hosts Kitchen Daily 101 on AOL. Stuart’s philosophy is to cook “hearty but healthy”, marrying the old world goodness of Ireland with the abundant fresh offerings of California.
This is the perfect hearty grilled cheese. Like many great sandwiches, it takes time to prepare but the result is incredible. As fall sets in, and the days become shorter and cooler, there is nothing quite as comforting as digging into a warm and hearty sandwich for lunch or dinner.
4 (thickly cut) slices of bread
1 onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic
10 mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup beef broth
1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons butter
salt & pepper
- Heat a heavy skillet to medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter and cook onions on a low temperature for about 15 minutes, until they become nice and caramelized.
- Add mushrooms and garlic and cook for a further 6-8 minutes.
- Stir in beef stock and all purpose-flour and bring to a simmer until a nice sauce forms. Add thyme.
- Butter bread with remaining butter and place Brie and mushroom onion topping between the buttered slices (make sure buttered sides are on the outside).
- Place sandwich on a hot non-stick pan for about 3 minutes per side or until it becomes nice and brown.
Tip: Using another heavy saucepan, you can press on the sandwich while cooking for a pressed sandwich, if desired.