Irish"horrified" by Irish Americans on St.Pat's claims Trina Vargo of US-Ireland Alliance -- Irish "laugh at the Yanks" she says as she seeks funds
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2012 at 08:15 AM
- Inquiries into pre-Good Friday Agreement Northern Ireland crimes must end
- “Philomena” a must-see movie that breaks your heart (VIDEO)
- What JFK’s America was really like in November 1963 - Time capsule of New York Daily News paper of the day
- An afternoon with Chuck Feeney, Irish America’s greatest hero
- How the Gaelic Players Association has saved lives in Ireland
|Enda Kenny and Barack Obama|
The alliance is funded in large part by the Irish taxpayer, which sends 12 students a year to Ireland on Mitchell Scholarship programs.
“The shop in Shannon Airport must have been out of leprechaun dolls and chunks of the auld sod,” Vargo wrote.
Kenny serves on the honorary board of the organization.
She also stated Irish Americans "horrified" Irish people during the St.Patrick’s period and that Irish people were secretly laughing at them.
The organization is down to receive $20 million in matching funding from hard-pressed Irish taxpayers over the next few years and Vargo is currently circulating a congressional petition seeking to have the American taxpayer pay an additional $5 million in order to trigger more Irish taxpayer money.
Former senator George Mitchell is lobbying members on Capitol Hill strongly for the money.
Staffers for one leading Irish American politician on Capitol Hill has strongly criticized the manner in which Mitchell has gone about lobbying directly for the funds .
“George Mitchell is a hero of the peace process but he is damaging his reputation strong arming politicians on this” one irate staffer stated.
Kenny presented the certificate to Obama, who has Irish roots, as the center piece of his remarks at an event attended by 300 leading Irish Americans and praised the role of Irish Americans in helping Ireland over the generations.
Vargo however, stated that Irish Americans were a disgrace. “ During this week it is always people from Ireland and Northern Ireland who tell me how horrified they are by the shamrockery, and they’re right, it’s embarrassing. "
Former Prime Minister Bertie Ahern gave false evidence says Mahon Tribunal investigation
Top ten winners and losers from St. Patrick's Day season 2012
"The Irish are just so grateful for the attention that they grit their teeth, take it, and then laugh at the Yanks at the end of the night. Ireland gives us what they think we want and clearly some still do.”
Questions have long been asked about the Mitchell Scholarship funding by Irish American groups give the director's strong antipathy to Irish American organizations..
In addition, there seems little evidence that any of the scholars contribute back to Ireland as was long the contention of the organization.
Vargo's salary funded by Irish and American taxpayers is $175,000 and she also hosts a glitzy Hollywood event her organization splashed out a total of $1.2 million on over five years.
15 - 121 | See all comments
- Irish university suspends Legion of Mary...
- Notre Dame sues federal government again...
- 4,000 Irish social welfare letters encourage...
- Top ten worst ever Irish Christmas gifts,...
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis'...
- Unionists regret US envoy Haass’ call for...
- Nelson Mandela showed us all what could be...
- Pope Francis calls capitalism “new tyranny”...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Address by Nelson Mandela to Joint Houses...