People and Politics by Patrick Roberts
Bill O'Reilly and Maureen Dowd now agree Obama is toast ---Only Tea Party extremism can save him
Posted on Sunday, July 31, 2011 at 07:00 AM
- No U.S Ambassador to Ireland in place until September at least say insiders - No envoy in Dublin for Barack and Michelle Obama trip to Ireland in June
- Sen. Marco Rubio support now makes certain immigration bill will pass Senate - Bipartisan immigration reform now has an excellent chance of becoming law - VIDEO
- Senator Chris Murphy, a political star is born over N.R.A. and gun issue - NY Times’ Maureen Dowd hails a new voice in the battle against more guns
- Hillary is definitely running for president says Maureen Dowd in her NY Times column - Urges Clinton to leave her troubling dark side behind for her 2016 run
- Is Senator Marco Rubio now trying to kill immigration reform after first supporting it? - Latest objections could mean he has turned rail on achieving immigration breakthrough
Bill O'Reilly thinks the only thing that can save the Obama presidency is the extremism of the Tea Party followers in Congress.
And he's right.
Maureen Dowd compares Obama to Jimmy Carter today in her Sunday New York Times column, clearly overwhelmed by the job, bowing to Republican demands at every turn, out of his depth.
And she's right.
Both leading Irish American columnists essentially agree that the only thing that can save this ineffectual president is the extremism on the right .
The two leading Irish American voices (pictured together at an Irish Central/Irish Voice event above) rarely agree on anything, but see Obama increasingly as a failed leader.
Dowd worries why Obama didn't just cite the 14th amendment clause that the Democrats including Bill Clinton believe allows the president to raise the debt ceiling an challenge Republicans to take him on in the courts.
Not this president unfortunately.
Here is what Dowd wrote today;
"The world is watching in fearful — and sometimes gleeful — fascination as the Tea Party drives a Thunderbird off the cliff with the president and speaker of the House strapped in the back. The Dow is hiding under the bed with a glass of single malt. Can it get more excruciating? Apple has more cash than the U.S. government.
Amid the chilling anarchy, there’s not a single strong leader to be seen — not even a misguided one. All the leaders are followers. You have to wonder if President Obama at some level doesn’t want to lead. Maybe he just wants to be loved."
Here's what Bill O'Reilly said;
"The only thing that can save Barack Obama at this point is craziness on the right…It’s not only going to hurt the Republican party, which has already been hurt, but it’s going to save President Obama who they hate…The irony is, the people who dislike President Obama the most…are helping him the most. You’ve got to stop this hateful rhetoric. Some of the rhetoric is so hateful…it’d spin your head around. You have to say, listen, we’re at a point in the history when we have to save the country…But I just hope they’ll all just say let’s do what’s good for the country."
O'Reilly is absolutely right. Obama can still energize the power Democratic base by pointing to what will happen if he is defeated. 'After me, the deluge' indeed.
But even that may not be enough to save Obama.
If the Republicans choose a half decent candidate such as Mitt Romney and the economy is still foundering, then Obama is toast .
But if they slew off and follow the siren call of a Michele Bachmann or a Rick Perry then they will lose out badly.
O'Reilly is right, Obama is there for the taking only Republican extremism can save him.
Dowd is right that Obama has gone from 'Yes we can' to 'No we can't. '
But given the current level of hateful rhetoric among Republicans they may fail to defeat the weakest American Democratic president in generations.
the Latest #IRISHTRAVEL
- Today's Irish news roundup...
- Elderly Irishman decribes being kept in servitude for six years by Irish Travellers gang...
- Travel chaos across Ireland as bus drivers go ahead with strike action...
- Today's Irish news roundup...
- Irish Travellers jailed for 13 years in the UK for forcing vulnerable men to work as 'slav...
- Planned Parenthood support for Irish leader...
- Gay porn priest is appointed to new parish...
- Horse disemboweled and sliced open in horrific.
- Chilling testimony before congressional hearing
- Ten best Irish lies — fabulous fibs that...
- Delphi Lodge takes responsibility for turning...
- Irish politician refuses to back down on...
- Aussie outlaw Ned Kelly is the center of...
- Senator Schumer says Irish deserve a separate...
- New reports suggest Robert F Kennedy’s wife...