Amy Andrews Gossip Girl by Amy Andrews
U2’s Bono, Denis O’Brien and others to plan massive testimonial bash for Irish rugby hero Brian O’Driscoll
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2012 at 08:16 AM
- Will Ferrell tried to keep Kanye West happy on the set of "Anchorman 2"
- Vin Diesel comforted by Paul Walker's family after losing his "other half"
- Paris Hilton's brother plans to sue Lindsay Lohan after ordered attack
- One Direction are close to signing a deal for their own reality show
- Paris Hilton vows to make Lindsay Lohan "pay" for ordering an attack on her brother
The Irish rugby team captain is currently on hiatus due to a busted ankle but during his time off business head honchos Denis O’Brien, Dermot Desmond and Michael Smurfit Jr, along with Bono are planning events to honor the top player.
Actress Amy Huberman, O’Driscoll’s wife, who recently announced she was pregnant, dodged the retirement question earlier this week when the Irish Independent cornered her.
When asked about O’Driscoll she said “Brian had surgery during the week so he's at home with his feet up.”
The reporters then pressed her on O’Driscoll’s professional plans. She grinned “I am not saying anything on that, I'm afraid.”
The first celebration of O’Driscoll’s career will take place on 18th March, at the Grosvenor Hotel, in London. The event will “recognise his career and his contribution to rugby both on a national and international level”. Another will take place in Dublin later in 2013.
The Testimonial committee head Harry Keogh, of London private bank Coutts said "We wanted to honour Brian for his achievements as one of the greats of international rugby and we are delighted that he has accepted the offer of a testimonial event both in Ireland and England."
O'Driscoll said "The call from Harry was so unexpected, but the two events will give me a chance to reflect on my career and a sport that I love whilst raising funds for three charities whose causes are very close to my heart."
A hundred percent of the proceeds from the Dublin event will go to Temple Street Children's University Hospital and ISPCC Childline.
Be the first to make a comment.
Latest Gossip Stories
- Will Ferrell tried to keep Kanye West happy on the set of "Anchorman 2"...
- Vin Diesel comforted by Paul Walker's family after losing his "other half"...
- Paris Hilton's brother plans to sue Lindsay Lohan after ordered attack...
- Paris Hilton vows to make Lindsay Lohan "pay" for ordering an attack on her brother ...
- The Wanted star Siva Kaneswaran has got engaged to his long-term girlfriend Nareesha McCaf...
- Susan Boyle believes her mother's ghost is with her "all the time"...