Amy Andrews Gossip Girl by Amy Andrews
'The Fighter' Irish boxer beats British King-"The King's Speech' - so far in Oscar race
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2011 at 10:09 PM
- Paris Hilton angered by Nelson Mandela Twitter hoax
- George Clooney finds gay rumors about himself amusing
- Amanda Bynes is advised against attending fashion school
- George Clooney isn't bothered about not being a father
- Amanda Bynes has been released from rehab
'The Fighter', the movie about boxer Irish Mickey Ward, has won the first two big Oscars of the night at the Academy Awards.
Best supporting actress went to Melissa Leo while Christian Bale (pictured with Mark Wahlberg) won best supporting actor.
The wins by the two actors were somewhat of a surprise as there has been little buzz about 'The Fighter' as a major Oscar contender, certainly far less than 'The King's Speech' and 'The Social Network'
The gritty life of Mickey Ward , growing up in Lowell, a working class suburb of Boston, seems a million miles form the rarefied existence of the Royal family in England, portrayed in The King's Speech.'
But so far the underdog is wining the battle at The Oscars just like Mickey Ward did so many times.
Latest Gossip Stories
- George Clooney isn't bothered about not being a father...
- Amanda Bynes has been released from rehab...
- Jamie Dornan heads to Canada as filming begins on “Fifty Shades of Grey”...
- U2 pays tribute to late South African leader at screening of “Mandela: Long Walk to Freedo...
- Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson are planning a festive break in France...
- Lindsay Lohan is reportedly dating Liam Neeson's son Michael...