Amy Andrews Gossip Girl by Amy Andrews
Rory McIlory and Caroline Wozniacki’s careers hurting as their relationship goes from strength to strength
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2012 at 09:42 AM
- One Direction are close to signing a deal for their own reality show
- Paris Hilton vows to make Lindsay Lohan "pay" for ordering an attack on her brother
- Susan Boyle believes her mother's ghost is with her "all the time"
- The Wanted star Siva Kaneswaran has got engaged to his long-term girlfriend Nareesha McCaffrey
- John Travolta's was upset 'Look Who's Talking' costar Kirstie Alley flirted with him
|Caroline Wozniacki and Gerry McIlroy at Portrush (David Cannon/Getty Images)|
Wozniacki, the blond Danish pro tennis player who McIlroy fell hard for last year, used to be the top ranked pro in the world. Now she’s only won one low-level tournament in the year she’s been dating McIlroy and she’s had several early exits, including being ousted from Wimbledon in the first round last week.
Her departure from the English tourney allowed her to travel to Antrim to watch McIlroy compete in the Irish Open. She was the dutiful galpal, walking the course in the rain and cheering on her man . . . but all he could muster was a tie for 10th place, seven shots behind the winner, Jamie Donaldson.
McIlroy won the U.S. Open title last year in thrilling fashion, but last month he couldn’t even make the cut when attempting to defend it in San Francisco.
Love hurts, it seems, but Wozniacki says her poor form has nothing to do with McIlroy.
“No,” was her curt response when asked that question point blank by a reporter delving for information after her Wimbledon ouster.
But a newspaper in Denmark, The Copenhagen Post, disagrees, saying that the Woz has turned into a dud.
“It’s the story all good tabloid sports journalists dream of – and it’s been sitting under their noses for the best part of four months. And now, game, set and match, it’s finally official -- Caroline Wozniacki’s relationship with Northern Irish golfer Rory McIlroy is seriously damaging the health of her tennis career,” opines the paper, offering one damning stat after another.
At least Woz has one ace in her corner. The legendary Chris Evert, winner of multiple grand slams, says Rory can’t be faulted for his girl’s on court lack of form.
“When she racked up all those ranking points last year, Serena and Venus Williams were out of the game and Victoria Azarenka had not come on strong. There was an opening and Caroline was the most consistent player,” she said. “I don’t think Caroline’s tennis is slipping because she is in love.”
Evert has three busted marriages behind her, including a brief one to golf pro Greg Norman, so she knows of what she speaks. (Or maybe not . . .)
McIlroy, for his part, seemed to enjoy having his lady by his side last week. He tweeted about seeing a movie with her in Belfast, and several photos showed him grinning from ear to ear while he walked the Royal Portrush course.
|Rory McIlroy and Bill Murray|
Be the first to make a comment.
Latest Gossip Stories
- Paris Hilton vows to make Lindsay Lohan "pay" for ordering an attack on her brother ...
- The Wanted star Siva Kaneswaran has got engaged to his long-term girlfriend Nareesha McCaf...
- Susan Boyle believes her mother's ghost is with her "all the time"...
- One Direction are close to signing a deal for their own reality show...
- Noel Gallagher thinks "embarrassing" Miley Cyrus has put female artists back "five years"...
- John Travolta's was upset 'Look Who's Talking' costar Kirstie Alley flirted with him...