Health Matters by Dr Charles Fiscella
Kids and pot - US teenagers think smoking marijuana is no big deal
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2012 at 05:17 AM
- Increase body strength and muscle mass with resistance exercises
- Is it time to throw out the concept of a royal family?
- Drink more water for a healthier life, it's essential for human existence
- Please tell the Fox there's more to the news than Obamacare
- Are carbohydrates and cancer possibly linked?
|To teens smoking a blunt is like drinking booze!|
Only about 20% of high school seniors considered pot smoking as unsafe.
The report also warns that marijuana use among school aged children is on the rise.
So is it becoming OK for kids to smoke pot?
Well, no more than alcohol is OK. Let’s face it - many kids are going to experiment with alcohol and pot in high school and college. Nothing much about that has changed over the years. It is important though to unify the message young people take away from American society as a whole. As more and more states move towards legalizing the possession and use of marijuana, there is an arguably reasonable impression that smoking the stuff is no big deal. Yet, at the same time some states are decriminalizing, other states are jailing people for the same behavior.
A more uniformed national approach is in order. It should emphasize both education and decriminalization. Young people should not have to face prosecution nor should they rely on ignorance of the possible negative consequences of smoking pot.