NY GAA: The week's reports from Gaelic Park


Celtics Have All the Answers

Celtics 0-12 FDNY 1-4

The New York Celtics used a balanced attack with three scorers getting three points or more to defeat the Fire Department on Sunday in this junior football match at Gaelic Park.

Veteran Derek McKenna and newcomers Kevin Tracey and Gary Nugent had brilliant outings, while the defense held their opponents to one score in the first half in a very good win for the side.

The opening 12 minutes was devoid of scores but they certainly had plenty of heart and spirit. Both sides moved the ball up the field, but the finishing touches were a little askew.

FDNY had four wides from scoring position, while the Celtics had wides but they were a little more difficult.

Finally after 16 minutes McKenna had the first score of the afternoon, an excellent one after a Kevin Tracey shot was cleared out by Tommy Furlong. He followed it within minutes with his second another long distance drive.

The good work was for naught, however, when FDNY attacked with 20 minutes gone. A long ball from Mike Reilly was misjudged by the defense, and it bounced into the waiting arms of Dave Garvey. The big Clare man flicked to an advancing Terrence Flynn, whose shot made its way to the net of the hands of the Celtics keeper.

The Bronx side did have a glorious goal chance in the following moments, but a shot from Edwin McRee went across the goal and wide. They had the equalizer from the foot of Nugent, a free from down the center to go to the break on even terms.

In the first minute of the second half both sides had scores. Barry Annett had the first when he received the ball from the throw in, while Nugent cancelled it out at the other end immediately after their kick out.

Tracey had a pair of points for Celtics to open what was for this encounter a substantial lead. They were also persisting with the long ball into the big full forward line; it was having a somewhat telling effect in that it put the FDNY rearguard under pressure, but the layoffs and passes from possession were not as plentiful as they should have been from this tactic.

Flynn had a point in reply, but the Celtics had a head of steam going at this stage. Further points from McKenna and Tracey again made it a 0-8 to 1-2 lead. The winners had four points to the FDNY’s two the rest of the way, and suffice to say they were always able to reply to anything that the FDNY could muster.

Danny O’Sullivan, Chris O’Connor and Aiden Traynor were very effective at the back. O’Connor has tremendous potential. Derek McKenna was by far the best of the midfielders; he covered acres and was always an outlet for the defense. Kevin Tracey, Gary Nugent and subs Rory Logan were the most impressive of the forwards.

For FDNY, Pat Lyons, Dermot Hayes, Terrence Flynn and Dave Garvey were the most prominent.

FDNY: 1 Tom Furlong, 2 Brian Kehoe, 3 Pat Lyons, 4 Trey Piazza, 5 Denis Curtin, 6 Dermot Hayes, 7 Brendan Murphy, 8 Tom Walsh, 9 Bernie Madden, 10 Tom Flynn, 11 Mike Reilly, 12 Terrence Flynn (1-3), 13 Billy Donaghue, 14 Barry Annett (0-1), 15 Dave Garvey.

Celtics: 1 Kevin McArdle, 2 Rory Creegan, 3 Danny O’Sullivan, 4 Brian Greene, 5 Chris O’Connor, 6 Aiden Traynor, 7 Dave Finley, 8 Derek McKenna (0-3), 9 Shane O’Connor, 10 Kevin Tracey (0-3), 11 Gary Nugent (0-4), 12 Tom Brady, 13 John McArdle, 14 John O’Connell, 15 Edwin McRee. Subs: Rory Logon (0-1), Kevin O’Connell (0-1).

Man of the match: Derek McKenna (Celtics).

Referee: Sean Jones (Fermanagh).


Tipp, Galway All Square

Tipperary 0-17 Galway 1-14

Galway only held the lead in this senior hurling encounter for less than 10 minutes, but they nearly pulled off the first shock of the hurling championship.

As it was Tipperary recovered to drive over the equalizing point with the last puck of the ball and give them a share of the spoils. It would possibly have been a steal if the Tribesmen had got the win as they had to thank keeper Ger Corcoran for keeping them in the game after three brilliant saves in the first half.

As it was the draw was a fair result in the end.

Tipperary burst from the gate, and they had four of the first five points in the first 10 minutes as they put their undoubted mark on the game.

They had two chances of goals in the mix also, but brilliant saves by Corcoran in the Galway goal denied Liam Costello and Tadgh Lyons consecutively.

With Kieran Bergin dominant at number six, there were plenty of other chances, however. After a Ger Kelly point for Galway, Tipp had a brace from Paudie Lyons that pushed their advantage out to 0-6 to 0-2.

They were dominating across the field and could have had an insurmountable lead but for the heroics of Corcoran. Galway on the strength of their brilliant keeper slowly began to claw their way back.