New York GAA: A round up of the the weekends games


First Half Wins it for Tyrone

Tyrone 1-13  Cavan 0-9

The huge half time lead that Tyrone built up was more than enough to hold off a spirited Cavan second half comeback. Tyrone was ahead at the break by 11 points, and while Cavan won the second half it was not enough to attain victory.

Cavan had the first point of the contest, a Kevin Smith free. It was quickly cancelled out by a 1-5 bombardment from the winners, with Patrick Maguire very effective on top of the square. The ball was sent in long in his direction and his distribution was first class. He had a point from play and set up Adam Fitzgerald on two occasions for scores.

Maurice Power saved Cavan when he denied Fitzgerald on 12 minutes, but the keeper was powerless (excuse the pun) moments later when the same player ghosted behind the defense for a cracker of a goal.

When Maguire fired a sideline over the lathe with a brilliant strike it was 1-5 to 0-1 with 20 minutes on the clock. Stephen Harold had a point for Cavan three minutes later, but Tyrone closed out the half with a further trifecta of points with a long range effort from Fitzgerald the pick of the crop.

Conor Skeffington added to the lead to open the second half, but then Cavan had their best period of the game. The long ball to the full forward line was used to good effect with Harold now stationed there.  He had a score when he beat his man, and that was followed by a Smith free when Justin O’Halloran was fouled.

Brendan Reilly followed with a score when a long ball in from Smith again worked to good effect.  Maguire did have a point at the other end, but good defensive play by Kieran Martin, Kevin Carden and Barry McGinn was negating chances.

Smith had another free for Cavan, but they were denied a goal when what seemed a perfectly good quick free was taken and Brian McCarthy shot to the net. Amazingly the ref called the ball back to take the free again. That was the goal that Cavan needed to give them a winning chance.

Another didn’t arrive the rest of the way. Michael Sloan had the final Tyrone point with 10 minutes left before Ronan McGinley fired over two scores as he joined the attack.

His second was a screamer. It was as close as they could get as Joe Bell, Ryan Canavan and Steve Keating all had clearances in the dying moments.

Tyrone is still undefeated after four games and are now the team that all are striving to beat. Joe Bell, Brendan McGourty and Seamus Skeffington were all excellent at the back. McGourty moved there after Aiden Power had to leave the field due to injury.

Declan Garvey did a lot of work in the middle. Up front Paddy Maguire in the first half was brilliant; Shane Ryan, Niall Farrell and the excellent Adam Fitzgerald all had good moments.

For Cavan it was a lost day at the office. Maurice Power made one brilliant save.  Ronan McGinley, Barry McGinn and Kevin Cardin all were more involved in the second half. Sean McGivney, Paddy Smith and Justin O’Halloran all battled throughout. O’Halloran showed a lot of heart.   

Cavan: 1 Maurice Power, 2 Denis McCarthy, 3 Alan Carolan, 4 Kieran Martin, 5 Ronan McGinley (0-2), 6 Kevin Cardin, 7 Barry McGinn, 8 Stephen Harold (0-2), 9 Paddy McCullough, 10 Justin O’Halloran (0-1), 11 Paddy Smith, 12 Brendan Reilly (0-1), 13 Brian McCarthy, 14 Kevin Smith (0-3), 15 Sean McGivney.

Tyrone: 1 Damien Corrigan, 2 Joe Bell, 3 Aiden Power, 4 Paul Mulhearne, 5 Ryan Canavan, 6 Steve Keating, 7 Seamus Skeffington, 8 Brendan McGourty, 9 Declan Garvey, 10 Michael Sloan (0-1), 11 Shane Ryan (0-2), 12 Conor Skeffington (0-2), 13 Adam Fitzgerald (1-2), 14 Paddy Maguire (0-3), 15 Niall Farrell (0-2). Subs: Darren Doherty, Donal Hartnett, Michael Gallagher, Paul Cahill.

Man of the match: Adam Fitzgerald (Tyrone).

Curran Leads Saints to Title

St Barnabas 1-14  Rockland 1-9

THE under-16 football final opened Sunday’s card at Gaelic Park, and what a thriller it turned out to be.  Niall Curran and Kieran Walsh traded points all day before a second half surge secured the title for an excellent St. Barnabas side.

The sides traded scores throughout the first half, with the winners holding a two point advantage at the break 1-6 to 1-4. St. Barnabas opened the game with a three point salvo, with Curran getting two while Sean McEvoy had the third before Rockland fought back. They had a point from Walsh before Ronan Curry cracked the ball to the net.

Curran had the fourth point and he could have given his side the lead when they were awarded a penalty. Joe Joyce fouled Kyle Bennett in the box, but the resultant kick was driven just outside the right post.

Walsh and Curran swapped points and the winners then dominated the next 10 minutes. They were winning kick outs in both directions which gave the side a number of chances.

Curran had a point before Mike Hannon grabbed St Barnabas’ goal. Hannon also had a shot that rebounded off the bar.

Rockland did have the last point of the first half which narrowed the gap to two.