New York GAA: Ladies 7s go to Na Fianna, scores galore for Kerry, thriller goes to Saints and more


Ladies 7s Go to Na Fianna

Na Fianna took home the Mattie Farrelly New York seven a side title on Saturday. They defeated Kerry/Donegal in a brilliant final, with both sides having opportunities to win. At the end it was two goals, one in each half that was the difference.

With nine teams involved the group stages were divided into two sections. Na Fianna were tops in division one with victories over Tir Na Nog (8-8 to 1-2), Cavan (7-8 to 4-4), and Europe (5-11 to 2-3).

Europe finished in second place courtesy of wins over Cavan (7-2 to 0-6) and Tir Na Nog, (9-3 to 2-7).

In the final game of the group Cavan defeated Tir easily, 5-12 to 1-3. In the second group Kerry/Donegal came out on top with wins over St. Bridget’s (4-9 to 1-6) and Fermanagh (3-7 to 1-2), a draw against Tyrone (0-7 to 1-4) and a win over Lurgan, 2-7 to 1-5.

Tyrone came in second with a battling draw against Lurgan (3-5 to 4-2), and wins over St. Bridget’s (7-7 to 1-3), and Fermanagh (5-7 to 4-3).

It set the stage for Na Fianna versus Tyrone in semifinal one which went 5-12 to 3-2 for Fianna and a 2-10 to 1-05 win for K/D over Tir Na Nog in the second.

While both Kerry/Donegal and Na Fianna had two points each to open the final, it was all K/D for the next seven minutes of the 12 minute half.

They added six points in succession, with Mairead Henyson and Marie Dalgan in brilliant form.

Na Fianna made a spirited comeback in the last two minutes as they had 1-1 from Aoife Herbert and also drove a harshly awarded penalty wide. It was given on a foot block on the keeper Roisin Langan, who had a point when she stormed up the field before the break, but Brianna Tierney had the last score to leave the K/D interval lead sitting precariously at 0-9 to 1-4.

Herbert added the second Na Fianna goal after K/D had the better of the opening again. It tied the contest for what was to be a repeat endeavor for the final 10 minutes.

Leads changed hands repeatedly, with both sides kicking some excellent dead ball points. With time ticking down Na Fianna had one last burst as they pushed the lead out to 2-10 to 0-14.

K/D responded by hitting the post and crossbar, but they could not get the goal they needed.
While both sides added points Na Fianna were able to hang on for a two point win.

Scores Galore for Kerry

Kerry 4-19 Armagh 3-11

The qualification for the final of the Ned Devine championship was clinical for Kerry as they overcome an Armagh team that on this day were chasing at too many positions.

With a double score interval lead it was all Kingdom, with a goal from Bingo Driscoll the wily veteran setting the stage.

It was 1-4 to 0-1 after nine minutes, with the Bingo goal coming when Padraig King and Eoin Hogan set him up.

Armagh did get a lifeline when Alan Hearty had two frees and Caolan Short soloed 50 yards before drilling a low shot to the net.

After two further points from Hearty and Richie Morgan, the Orchard men were within two at 1-5 to 1-7 with eight minutes left on the clock.

Another scoring avalanche from Kerry, however -- CJ Molloy with three points, Bingo and Danny Kennelly with minors and Hogan with a major -- pushed Kerry back out into a 2-12 to 1-5 lead.

Armagh was chasing now, with Short, Brian Patton and Morgan all battling hard. They had a goal from Morgan to open the second half and added further points from the same player and Hearty, but the good work was nullified by 1-2 at the other end including Hogan’s second goal.

After Morgan’s second major when he had two chances at it following a quick free, it was 3-14 to 3-8. Kerry, however, with Mike Jim Fitzgerald and King tremendous in the middle, was able to create attacks at will.

They added a further 1-5 to their total to pad their advantage and cruise to a final slot where they will face off against Leitrim next week.

Armagh: 1 Gary Nugent, 2 Ramie Kane, 4 Collie Fearan, 5 Stuart Stokes, 6 John Morton, 7 Caolan Short, 8 Brian Patton, 9 Seamy McDaid, 10 Richie Morgan, 11 Kevin McGeeney, 12  Liam Collins, 13 Alan Hearty, 15 Chris Morton. Sub: Kenny Cox.

Kerry: 1 Shane Clifford, 2 James Huvane, 4 Sean Kelly, 5 Shane Coffey, 6 John Kerins, 7 Paul Kelly, 8 Mike Jim Fitzgerald (0-1), 9 Padraig King (1-3), 10 Danny Kennelly (0-1), 11 Eoin Hogan (2-3), 12 Kevin Walsh, 13 Bingo Driscoll (1-3), 15 CJ Molloy (0-8).
Referee: Brian Quinn.

Man of the match: CJ Molloy (Kerry).

Thriller Goes to Saints

St. Barnabas 3-13 Westmeath 3-10

ST. Barnabas did just enough to get the win and the date with Celtics in the KO junior final after a pulsating hour of football.

A period of dominance in the first 18 minutes of the second half when they outscored Westmeath 1-8 to 0-2 was the foundation for the win.

The introduction of two subs, Adrian Wynne and Liam Deane, who contributed 0-5 collectively also was a huge factor.

The sides were tied at the break at 2-4 apiece, with Westmeath’s goals coming in the first 10 minutes as they built a 2-2 to 0-2 lead.