Some tales of the "Celts" exposed by the science of DNA
From fanciful folklore to stuff of legends secrets exposed behind Ireland's history
Milesians Not Irish Founders
We have been taught for a few generations that the Irish descend from the Celts.
The King of one wave of Celts was Milesius. Milesius is the most famous Celt in legend I think. Some call him the founder of the Irish people - but it looks like it is mostly a fanciful story.
First Irish Families
DNA studies are now telling us that Ireland was settled centuries earlier than thought.
It was not first settled by the Celts of legend.
Ice Age Survivors
It was actually those who survived the last ice age about 10,000 years ago, holding out in northwest Spain. As things warmed up, they found their way to Ireland.
In fact, the closest DNA match with the Irish in all Europe is with the Basque.
Take a look at the film 'Blood of the Irish' and you'll become a believer.
How They Got Here
Current theory is that they came by boat to Ireland, which was settled much later than Britain, which was connected by land to the continent. They did not come from Scotland, but from Basque country.
So, at least they came from around Spain like some of the Milesian legends speak of.
Our New Ancestors
We still have to double check all the findings but it seems pretty convincing. The Irish and the Basque are brothers, so to speak. As far as we can see, our earliest ancestors were the Basque people. So there is the point to start your genealogy in Ireland!
If you want to see some of the legend that came from the story of the Celts and Milesius there is a book. It is titled 'A Genealogical History of the Milesian Families of Ireland' that I published several years ago.
Book of Invasions
If you want to see a real classic, take a look at the 'Book of Invasions', one of our oldest written stories about who settled Ireland. This book gives that the Irish originally came from Spain. This is the ancient book that O'Donnell took to the court of Spain, trying to strengthen the ties between the two countries. Looks like there was some truth there...
All of this should make doing current day research on your Irish family history seem a lot easier. Just remember, everyday is a holiday.
For more visit www.Irishroots.com.
* Mike is the most published author in his field, and also founded the first audio show on the internet, on Irish Families and genealogy.
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Virginia governor slammed by doctor over...
- Irish drugs mule to escape full trial and...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Top Christmas Irish ads that will be bring...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm
- Owners of Boston’s Burren Pub to host CD release party while helping homeless...
- Irish nanny lawyers in Boston murder case obtains computer records...
- New Boston mayor wants to abolish ICE fingerprinting policies...
- Boston nanny lawyer seeks computer records of slain baby’s family...
- Caroline Kennedy sworn in as new U.S. ambassador to Japan...