Immigration and US Citizenship - Tax filing without a social security number (SSN)


By Kieran C. O’Sullivan, Immigration Counselor

From time to time, we get calls from people who want to file tax returns but are not yet in possession of their social security numbers.

Each year, millions of dollars are paid to the IRS by immigrants who are using ITINs.
Any individual who is not eligible to obtain an SSN but who must furnish a taxpayer identification number (TIN) to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) must first apply for a TIN on Form W-7. You may, using your TIN file taxes each year you derive income from sources in the US.

Each ITIN applicant must:

Apply using the revised W-7 application form for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number; and attach a federal income tax return to the Form W-7.

Applicants who meet an exception to the requirement to file a tax return (see the instructions for Form W-7) must provide documentation to support the exception. Do not complete Form W-7 if you have an SSN or eligible to obtain an SSN. You can apply either by mail or in person, but it may suit most people to apply through the mail. Form W-7 can be downloaded from the IRS Website or obtained at your local Social Security Administration Office. The documents to prove identity may include the following:

· A passport, a driver's license, or an identity card issued by a state or national government authority. You can submit the original documents. To apply you need only complete the W-7 and mail it along with the original or notarized copies of your documentation to the IRS.

Don't forget to include a copy of your federal income tax return if required to do so. Many people are more comfortable using a certified public accountant for this application. Email me if you need more details.

Next Legal Clinic

Our next legal clinic will be on September 4th at 630 pm in The Banshee, 934 Dorchester Ave. Dorchester. Meantime call or email me with any questions.

Disclaimer: Please note that the information contained in it is provided to inform generally, and is not intended as a substitute for individual advice. Immigration law is subject to frequent changes and individual circumstances can affect the application of certain legal provisions. For individual legal advice, please contact the Irish Pastoral Centre directly regarding upcoming legal clinics or consultation with an immigration attorney.

Email me your immigration query or a topic you would like us to cover today: Kieran@ipcboston.org


Log in with your social accounts:

Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:

Forgot your password ?

Don't have an account yet? Register now !

Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:

Already have an account ?

For Newsletter Subscribers – Draw for 1 Prize on December 31st.

Prize: Your Piece of Ireland – a Square of Land in the heart of the Glens of Antrim, Ireland

More details here (or you can buy a little piece of Ireland directly): http://bit.ly/1zew9ox

Terms & Conditions

Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.

Make sure we gathered the correct information from you

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.

You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.

Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: