\"News

News from the 32

Weekly news from around the 32 counties of Ireland

\"News

News from the 32

ANTRIM

A mortar bomb left on a roadside in Armagh has been blamed on “reckless” criminal dissidents intent on killing police officers. District Commander chief superintendent Alasdair Robinson said the device was found on Wednesday night last thanks to a member of the public who raised the alarm. It is understood a warning call was made to the city’s parochial house. Police were alerted and closed the road.

(Source: The Belfast Telegraph)

 

ARMAGH

A prominent south Armagh Republican, whose home was raided and assets frozen by the Serious Organized Crime Agency (SOCA), claims the investigation is ‘politically motivated’ and that details published about his assets are ‘totally and utterly untrue.’ Investigators from the Agency swooped on Sean Hughes’ home on the Adavoyle Road in Dromintee on Tuesday last. A court order had been granted for the Agency to take control of assets and bank accounts, which it alleges were proceeds of tax, mortgage and benefit fraud. Bank accounts belonging to several members of Hughes’ extended family and neighbors have also been frozen.

(Source: The Cross Examiner)

 

CARLOW

A Bangladeshi man will arrive in County Carlow last Wednesday to try to inspire students at IT Carlow to speak their own language. Raj Khan, who has lived here now for seven years, has been adopted by the Irish-speaking community and his stop in Carlow is one of many he will make on his cycling trip around Ireland trip to promote our native tongue. “I’ve lived in Ireland for seven years now and I’m constantly taken aback at how few people speak Irish on a daily basis,” said Raj. “I’m trying to encourage Irish people to use their ‘cúpla focal’ whenever they get the chance. Language is central to our identity and fundamental to our uniqueness,” he added.

(Source: The Carlow Nationalist)

 

CAVAN

We have great plans for 2010 and we will continue to provide the best service we can with our resources," Cavan County Museum's acting curator, Savina Donohoe has said. Ms. Donohoe was speaking in the light of recent reports that Cavan County Council's annual funding of €500,000 to the museum will be cut - reports that she feels have been misconstrued as heralding the end for the museum. "The council have been very good to us and they appreciate having the museum," said Ms. Donohoe.

(Source: The Anglo Celt)

 

CLARE

Drivers last week were advised to postpone all journeys in Clare until further notice as weather conditions deteriorated. Those that had to travel experienced delays of up to three hours with severe tailbacks.

(Source: The Irish Times)

 

CORK

Gardai (police) in Fermoy are warning householders to beware of bogus officials calling to their homes looking for money after a local man was almost conned out of a "substantial" amount of cash. A smartly dressed man called to a pensioner's house in Kilworth within the past fortnight claiming to be a representative from the revenue commissioners. The caller told the man that he owed a sum of money to the taxman and that the deadline for payment was looming.

(Source: The Corkman)

 

DERRY

Father Sean McKenna – who two weeks ago announced his decision to leave the priesthood after 24 years – said that the woman he is in a relationship with is not pregnant. He said that the "rumors" about his relationship with separated mother-of-two Elaine Curran are "completely untrue" and have caused "great distress".

(Source: The Derry Journal)

 

DONEGAL

Former star player Martin McHugh is to challenge for a place on the Donegal GAA Executive and a place on the Central Council of the Association in Croke Park at next month's county convention. The All-Ireland winner and double All-Star is among a number of people who have received nominations for the position about to be vacated by Brian McEniff, who is giving up his position on the Association's governing body under rule having completed 16 years at Central Council.

(Source: Donegal Democrat)

 

DOWN

Family members of the victims of a fatal car crash in Newry earlier this year have travelled from Portugal to campaign for safety improvements at the notorious stretch of road where the horror smash occurred. Four men died and another was seriously injured in the head-on collision with a truck on the main Tandragee Road in August. Now parents and relatives of the victims have come to Northern Ireland to push for changes to the junction where their loved ones died.

(Source: The Down Democrat)

 

DUBLIN

They're the pure platinum celebrity couple famed for their bling parties and A-list status. So when Beyonce and Jay-Z jet into town and you just know that if they go out it will be to a very special bash. The soul diva and her rap-star hubby paid for a party at Lillie's Bordello on Sunday night. Beyonce performed at the O2 on Sunday and Monday night last. And in between she and Jay Z hosted Dublin's glitziest party-of-the- year for her lead dancer. Talented performer Khasan Brailsford booked out the club's exclusive VIP area for a bash on Sunday night after the concert.

COMMENTS

Log in with your social accounts:

Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:

Forgot your password ?

Don't have an account yet? Register now !

Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:


Already have an account ?

Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.


Make sure we gathered the correct information from you

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.


You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.


Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: