(Source: The Limerick Leader)
The promise of a new state of the art library in Ballymahon has been given the seal of approval by those who helped bring the project to fruition. Last week, Minister for Housing Michael Finneran TD had finally brought a near ten year wait to a successful conclusion when announcing that grant aid of around €900,000 would be made available for the venture over the coming months.
(Source: The Longford Leader)
A multi storey medical facility, incorporating over 150 bedrooms, is being planned for a site within the grounds of the Lourdes Hospital by a private consortium. And if permission is granted those behind the state-of-the-art project will finance its construction and then lease the building back to the HSE. The planned site is towards the north-west of the hospital campus and would be a five to six storey development, including the 150 plus en suite bedrooms with ancillary services and uses. Part of the facility would be on privately owned lands and also on hospital property. The move would be seen as a massive boost to secure long-term regional services in Drogheda and add considerably to the local workforce. That move would put the proposal to open a regional hospital on a site in Navan very much in doubt.
(Source: The Drogheda Independent)
A U.S. helicopter pilot who died in a crash in Afghanistan as his aircraft was taking off was son of Mr. Jackie Lyons, formerly of Quay Road, Westport. Chief Warrant Officer Niall Lyons (40), whose mother Nuala comes from Dublin, was one of 10 Americans who died when low visibility caused the helicopter to crash, the US Army said on Wednesday last. The helicopter crashed about 3.30am the previous Monday and the US Army denied claims that it had been brought down by hostile fire from Taliban militants on the ground. The helicopter crashed when it lifted off after a successful operation to disrupt arms smuggling and narcotics trafficking in the Qadis district, the Army said. The crash in Badghis province killed seven US service members and three US civilians.
(Source: Mayo News)
Former Taoiseach (Prime Minister), John Bruton, who returned home to Dunboyne last weekend, has thrown his hat into the ring for the post of President of the European Council. The Dunboyne native and former Meath TD, who has been the EU's ambassador to Washington over the past five years, has written to the ambassadors of all 27 EU countries to the United States to announce his interest. MEP, Mairead McGuinness said Mr. Bruton was the ideal candidate and had a lot of support with the European People's Party, the grouping Fine Gael belongs to in the European Parliament.
(Source: The Meath Chronicle)
Monaghan man in his 20s failed to offer any explanation as to why he had certain explosive materials in his presence when he was arrested during an armed raid on a Dublin apartment, the Special Criminal Court heard last Thursday. Evidence was being heard in the trial of three men accused of unlawfully having explosive material in their possession at an apartment in Clondalkin, Dublin, on September 9th, 2008.
(Source: The Irish Times)
Offaly men make better drivers than Offaly women. Well they do at least when it comes to passing their driving test as males have a considerably higher success rate than their female counterparts. That’s according to official figures released last week by the Central Statistics Office which show that of the 4797 men who sat their driving test between the Tullamore and Birr centers in 2008, 55% passed. A total of 5,596 women took their driving test in the county in 2008 with 51% passing.
(Source: The Offaly Express)
A Boyle woman who believes she saw the sun changing color at Knock the weekend before last has vowed not to return for the next predicted apparition as she was “terrified” by the “chaos and mayhem” of the crowds. Having filmed an image of what many believe to be the Blessed Virgin on video in Knock on October 11th, Breege Queenan from Knockarush returned to Knock last Saturday following Dublin clairvoyant Joe Coleman’s prediction that Our Lady would appear at 3 p.m.
(Source: The Roscommon Herald)
Plans for a major healthcare facility on a 16-acre site at Carraroe are expected to be lodged with Sligo County Council before the end of this year. The new private hospital will provide first-class medical treatment in areas of high demand such as oncology, day surgery, imaging, state of the art diagnostic equipment and urgent care. The proposed facility received a major boost on Monday when members of Sligo County Council voted by 16 to 4 in favor of the project, with three abstentions, during a special council meeting to consider the Draft Sligo and Environs Development Plan 2010-2016.
Log in with your social accounts:
Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:
Don't have an account yet? Register now !
Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:
Already have an account ? Log in
Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:
Make sure we gathered the correct information from you
You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.
Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: