Disciplinary action has been taken against a number of South Hadley High School students responsible for the bullying of 15-year-old Irish girl, Phoebe Prince, who subsequently took her own life in mid January.
Superintendent of the South Hadley high schools, Gus Sayer, said that although “we're not going to say what happened to each student because we never talk about the discipline that is given to students,” the school has taken disciplinary action against a small number of students who will not be permitted to return to the high school again.
When asked if they had been expelled, Sayer said, “That's part of their personal, private record."
Prince, who was discovered hanging in her home in South Hadley on January 14 by her sister, had moved to the U.S. from Co. Galway with her family last September. She was bullied for several weeks before her death in school, via text and online messages.
Sayer, who has been inundated with calls and attended several meetings in response to Phoebe’s suicide, allegedly from the bullying inflicted on her, said his department has taken the matter very seriously.
“We've taken it to that highest level, and we can tell you that the students are no longer in school."
An anti-bullying task force will meet at the high school tonight to discuss ways to prevent further bullying from affecting the students there.
The task force is made up to teachers, students, parents, administrators, school board members and community members.
Sayer said the task force would review "all practices and policies with respect to bullying and hopefully generate some ideas about what we might do in the future that would be more thorough."
Investigators in South Hadley are conducting a separate investigation into Prince’s death.