\"Check

Check out what's going on in your home county Photo by: Google Images

News from Ireland - news from around the 32 counties

\"Check

Check out what's going on in your home county Photo by: Google Images

Two men were still in hospital last Tuesday as a result of injuries sustained following a car crash near the Galway/Mayo border on Thursday night, December 6.

The men, believed to be from the Dublin area, were back seat passengers in a blue Volvo car which crashed at Belmount, Milltown, just over the Galway/Mayo border. Gardaí (police) say that the car was “acting suspiciously” in the Hollymount area on Thursday night and drove off “at speed” when Gardaí approached it near the village of Hollymount.

The driver and front-seat passenger fled the scene of the accident and are still at large, despite an intensive Garda search, involving officers from Mayo and Galway and the Garda helicopter.
[Source: The Mayo News]

MEATH

Controversial rapper Eminem will headline a second gig at Slane on August 17, 2013 – two months after the Bon Jovi gig on June 15.

Tickets go on sale this Wednesday, December 19 at 9 a.m., for $103.90.

Having once vowed that the rapper would never get a date at Slane again, after pulling out of a concert in 2005, owner Lord Henry Mountcharles has now confirmed they have made up and that the 40-year-old rapper will now appear in Slane eight years later.
[Source: Meath Chronicle]

MONAGHAN

Ireland could be facing a modern gold rush after a low-profile exploration company reported it had found gold worth "millions" in the Southeast.

In a statement to the London Stock Exchange, I.M.C. Exploration said it had found an exceptional level of gold deposits after drilling. The company said drilling had found 11.38 troy ounces of gold per ton of earth. That is more than 300 times the size of the reported finds in Clontibret, County Monaghan.

"These results are one of the highest-recorded gold grades ever found in Ireland and the company is rapidly progressing with ongoing drilling," the company said.
[Source: Irish Independent]

OFFALY

Laois and Offaly government colleagues, Fine Gael’s Deputy Charlie Flanagan and Labour Senator John Whelan, have locked horns in a bitter war of words as the fallout from a harsh budget rumbled on.

Senator Whelan criticized his party Leader Eamon Gilmore for being “out swanning around with Hilary Clinton” while he and other parliamentary colleagues were getting it in the neck from lo- income working families who took “an unfair, inequitable and disproportionate” hit in budget 2013.

“We pledged to protect Child Benefit on the eve of the general election. This cut is hard to stomach from a cabinet of mostly fat gray-haired men in gray suits who are detached and most will not face the electorate next time and stand over their actions.”
[Source: Offaly Express]

ROSCOMMON

The government’s decision to close three Garda (police) stations in the county has been slammed by the chairperson of Roscommon’s Joint Policing Committee who believes that it will give a “green light to criminal activity.”

Minister for Justice Alan Shatter announced two weeks ago that Ballintubber, Ballyforan and Knockcroghery stations would all close next year, bringing the number of stations closures in Roscommon to six in just over a year, following the closures of Loughglynn, Cootehall and Tarmonbarry earlier this year. It has also emerged that Boyle Garda district is to be amalgamated into the Castlerea Garda district as part of the announcement.
[Source: Roscommon Herald]

SLIGO

The parents of a five-year-old girl who died in an arson attack said the inquest into her death two weeks ago was harrowing. In an exclusive interview with The Sligo Champion, mother Teresa Keane, said: "I knew Mari was burned but I never realized how bad it was until the pathologist read out his report."

The inquest heard how the innocent little girl died in a house fire in Boyle in the early hours of October 3, 2011. Speaking after hearing the details in the inquest, Teresa said: "I felt like getting sick. I couldn't describe it. It was just unnatural the way she died. Her body was charred. There was nothing left of her."

Heartbroken Teresa, a native of Culfadda, said the inquest has not brought closure because she will never get over what happened.
[Source: Sligo Champion]

TIPPERARY

The Central Statistics Office last Thursday released the final publication in its series of Census 2011 profile reports, showing that a total of 41,073 persons, representing 77.5 percent of commuters travelled to work by car in April 2011.

The publication, “Profile 10 Door to Door – Commuting in Ireland”, presents a profile of the commuting patterns of the Irish population and covers modes of travel, journey times, and time of departure for both workers and students.

Deirdre Cullen, Senior Statistician at the C.S.O. said: “This report provides further analysis of an extremely important theme from the Census 2011 results. It examines commuter numbers, looking at means of transport, departure times and time spent travelling for both workers and students.”
[Source: Tipperary Star]

COMMENTS

Log in with your social accounts:

Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:

Forgot your password ?

Don't have an account yet? Register now !

Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:


Already have an account ?

Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.


Make sure we gathered the correct information from you

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.


You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.


Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: