\"News

News from around the country of Ireland Photo by: Google Images

News from Ireland - news from around the 32 counties

\"News

News from around the country of Ireland Photo by: Google Images

MEATH

As the number of burglaries in Meath rockets, garda (police) analysis has shown that 92% of homes targeted had no alarms, while 31& of burglaries involved the theft of cash and 20% the theft of jewelry.

Crime statistics released last month revealed a 40% increase in incidents of burglary in Meath between 2010 and 2011, with a total of 1,176 burglaries in the county last year.

Now a further analysis of burglaries in Meath from January 2011 to March 2012 has shown that the top items stolen were jewelry, cash, electronics, motor accessories, televisions and tools.
[Source: Meath Chronicle]

MONAGHAN

Fashion luminaries have picked Irish designer Natalie Coleman (32) as one to watch for the future.
The Monaghan-born designer last Tuesday night won the Craft Council's 'Future Makers Award' at Dublin's Sugar Club for her colorful dress designs with quirky hand-drawn and water-colored illustrations based upon a selection of imaginary jewelry.

Lily Allen is among the figures who have bought works created by the young designer, who launched her own label in 2010 with shows at a number of fashion weeks, including New York and Paris.
[Source: Irish Independent]

OFFALY

A Tullamore man has denied charges against him that he had sex in a public place in Dubai, a charge that could bring with it a three year-jail sentence.

Twenty-eight-year old Conor McRedmond is accused of being drunk in a public place and having sex before marriage with British woman Rebecca Blake.

Mr. McRedmond was working for an engineering firm in Dubai and had been at an Irish bar before taking a taxi with Ms. Blake on May 4.
[Source: Offaly Express]

ROSCOMMON

Roscommon Independent TD Luke “Ming” Flanagan has called on Fianna Fáil’s Éamon Ó Cuív to break his silence and resume public opposition to the fiscal treaty.

Appealing to the Galway West TD, who was instructed to refrain from publicly advocating a No vote, Mr. Flanagan said: “He needs to come back out now and do the right thing.” The former deputy leader should “lead the people in Fianna Fáil that listen to him to go out and vote No”.

He said Mr. Ó Cuív “can’t get off the hook on this”.
[Source: Irish Times]

SLIGO

County Sligo and the Strandhill peninsula in particular will receive massive exposure in the United States later this year following a visit from the world famous Martha Stewart magazine and TV channel film crew.

The magazine, owned by the American business magnate, author, publisher and television personality, had intended to do a feature on seaweed and when a researcher simply put in a search for seaweed on the internet, he came up with VOYA seaweed baths in Strandhill.

This gave him the idea to do a piece on the baths and led to the magazine doing a travel piece on Strandhill and much of Sligo as well. The Martha Stewart TV channel also got in on the act and a team of writers, photographers, TV crew and models then spent a total of three days here and got some excellent shots of many of the local tourist attractions.

Sligo will feature in the September issue of the Martha Stewart magazine and the television program is also scheduled to go out in the same month. "This really came out of the blue, but we were delighted with the visit. It will give the baths, Strandhill and Sligo huge exposure in the U.S. later this year and it should help our local tourist industry," said Neil Walton of VOYA seaweed baths.

TIPPERARY

At this month’s Templemore Joint Policing Committee (JPC) meeting, Cllr. Jim O’Shea raised the issue of a caravan near the Garda (police) grounds which had some “dangerous” cabling attached to it.

“It’s within a mile of a designated halting site,” said Cllr. O’Shea. “It’s going down the road. The number of people complaining about it…it’s a bone of contention.” Cllr. Maura Byrne said it’s “absolutely dangerous. I see children playing on the street. If we had this on our own homes, we’d be in great trouble.”

Cllr. Mick Connell added that the “health and safety people” should have moved in.

“It’s more than a private concern. I think it’s a matter for the County Council and the Gardaí. They should get their heads together.” The caravan is “on a continuous white line.”
[Source: Tipperary Star]

TYRONE

The sudden closure of a Dungannon road for emergency repair work has sparked anger among local residents who claim to have had up to 12 miles added to basic journeys as a result.

According to Councilors Roger and Frances Burton, the Drumaspil Road at Fishponds Bridge over the M1 motorway was closed on Monday (May 14), without warning, at a great inconvenience to residents.
A Roads Service spokesman said that while normally notification of work is given, due to the "emergency nature of the work", this was not possible in this case.

COMMENTS

Log in with your social accounts:

Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:

Forgot your password ?

Don't have an account yet? Register now !

Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:


Already have an account ?

For Newsletter Subscribers – Draw for 1 Prize on December 31st.

Prize: Your Piece of Ireland – a Square of Land in the heart of the Glens of Antrim, Ireland

More details here (or you can buy a little piece of Ireland directly): http://bit.ly/1zew9ox

Terms & Conditions

Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.


Make sure we gathered the correct information from you

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.


You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.


Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: