JJ Kavanagh’s Bus Company has said that they are going to trial routes which by-pass Athy in the coming weeks and months.
JJ Kavanagh told the Kildare Nationalist that they were forced to take this action due to the traffic hold-ups in the town which, he says, can lead to schedule delays of up to 45 minutes at various times.
Kavanagh’s operate 18 passenger services a day on three routes through Athy. A Clonmel-Kilkenny-Dublin route is operated seven days a week, a Portlaoise-Athy-Carlow route operates six days a week and a Carlow to Maynooth route operates five days a week.
[Source: Kildare Nationalist]
Taoiseach (Prime Minister) Enda Kenny announced the first new jobs created by Terry Clune’s Connect Ireland initiative.
Around 30 jobs were announced for Carlow last Thursday afternoon at a launch in Taxback’s headquarters in Kilkenny. Connect Ireland is the company that encourages sharing contacts around the world to facilitate inward investment in Ireland.
[Source: Kilkenny People]
The Abbeyleix Hospital Action Committee says they have had the strongest indication yet that the Community Nursing Home can be saved, following a meeting with the Minister of State in the Department of Health.
In similar fashion to the Minister for Health, Minister Kathleen Lynch’s visit to the hospital was shrouded in secrecy, with no notification to the hospital or local action committee.
“We got no notification of her visit, but we did get to meet with her,” Gary O’Keeffe, PRO explained.
“It was a frank but positive meeting. The Minister said she was highly impressed with what she saw in the hospital and it was a true example of what the hospital is like on any day of the week.
[Source: Leinster Express]
Three-time Irish Olympian and former 5,000m world champion, Eamon Coughlan is to launch a Leitrim County Council healthy living program as part of a unique initiative aimed at our young people.
With a dramatic rise in the number of young Irish people now being diagnosed as clinically obese and suffering other healthy issues because of poor diet and a lack of exercise, Fine Gael councillor, John McCartin has proposed a special initiative aimed at encouraging young people to take control of their health and their future.
[Source: Leitrim Observer]
A county Limerick man who has been locked up on the continent for two months while he awaits trial for allegedly smuggling drugs is completely innocent, say his family.
Sean Ryan “Thadger” from the Doon Road, Cappamore was arrested in Bulgaria at the end of March and has been extradited to Lille in France in the past two weeks.
Mr. Ryan’s wife, Joan, says it has been a “nightmare” for her family and friends.
“They have no proof or evidence. I can’t visit him, can’t phone him and have only been allowed to see him once.
[Source: Limerick Leader]
The National Roads Authority (NRA) and Longford County Council have come under fire for not doing enough to address traffic congestion problems at one of Longford town’s busiest junctions.
Cllr. Paul Connell questioned a recent decision taken by local authority bosses to close off the entrance to St Mel’s Cathedral car park from the Ballinalee Road.
He said the build-up in traffic flow had deteriorated to such an extent that the situation now presented a serious risk to both motorists and pedestrians.
[Source: Longford Leader]
In a bid to cut spending costs it has emerged that four of RTE’s regional offices could face closure including their television and radio suite in Dundalk
The extent of the broadcasters’ financial crisis was revealed last month at a Dáil (Irish parliament) debate about the closure of RTÉ’s London office. RTÉ director General Noel Curran is under immense pressure as he has to make $31 million cuts in the next year. This led to his announcement that there would be cuts in regional spending and decisions about the matter would be made in the next quarter.
[Source: Dundalk Democrat]
The town of Swinford was last Wednesday night coming to terms with the shocking news that popular local sports star Gary Price had drowned in a tragic accident in South East Asia.
Gary’s body was found on May 21 after a two-day search. He reportedly was swept away by a strong current when part of a group crossing the Nam Song River near the town of Vang Vieng in Laos at the weekend.
The 23-year-old was in South-East Asia for a number of weeks on holiday. He had lived in Australia for almost a year and was due to be home in Swinford this week, before flying to Boston for the summer with friends. Poignantly his 24th birthday would have taken place Tuesday, May 29.